Monday, February 19, 2007

Reflux

Hello all...

I am writing for advice from the many knowledgeable micropreemie moms out there. Edwin has had reflux for some time. While in the NICU he was on Pepsid and Reglan. He was having "death spells" while being gavage fed and this was attributed to reflux, although I always believed it was more due to the tube being dropped and irritating the vagal nerve in conjunction with his reflux; since he didn't reflux or have "death spells" after breastfeeding. Well anyway after he mastered all PO feeds, and didn't have anymore spells, they DC-ed the reglan and kept the pepsid on board mainly because he is on steroids and this upsets the digestive system. He didn't spit up much in the NICU, a little wet burp here and there. Well since being home and taking more volume (?) he tends to spit up more. I told the pedi about it and she switched him to Zantac, she said that is what she usually perscribes, not Pepsid, and felt better about that. It has been almost a week and a half and I don't see any improvement...in fact it seems like it is getting worse. Daddy is convinced I am feeding him too much, but I don't think so./..he eats when he is hungry and takes between 3-4 ounces every 4 hours, I don't think that is too much at all...especially since he is now over 7 pounds I'm sure. I try holding him upright to fed and holding him upright on his tummy after his feeds, and sometimes he refluxes and sometimes he doesn't. I am just concerned it will get much worse and he will develop an oral aversion and I don't want that to happen at all! I also am not sure I want to go through a whole battery of test if they are only going to confirm the obvious...that he is refluxing. Does anyone have any experience and advice about this. Meds that work, medical interventions or test that are helpful? I sure would appreciate it. The pedi is great but I just don't feel confident pumping meds into my son that don't appear to be helping. Thanks!

7 comments:

Miracles said...

One of my twins had severe reflux. Not so bad in hospital, but once we got home everything changed. She would have projectile vomiting at least every other feed. I agree with you, I don't think your feeding him too much at all. You still have to adjust for his age. My Pedi put Avery on Zantac as well. It took about a week and a half before I saw any improvement, but it does get better. I also sat her up during feeds as well as kept her upright for a good 20 minutes afterwards.
When I first started giving her the Zantac I started by mouth. She hated every moment of it. After awhile I began to add it to her milk and she tolerated that much better. You'll find your own little tricks as time goes by.
I also changed her bottle. I started out with the Playtex liner type, then switched her to Playtex Advance. She has done very well with that one. It's all preference. Each baby is different.

Hang in there, hopefully it will pass, I hope this doesn't scare you but Avery's lasted 5 months.

Lathan, Lauren, Logan, London said...

We kind of had the same thing happen with Logan and Lauren. Both were on all kinds of reflux meds (Reglan, Bethanacol, Pepsid, Zantac) and if I remember correctly it took about a week or so for each one to kick in. Good new is ours outgrew the reflux extremely fast so I'm hoping for the same for you!!!

P.S.
Our still sleep in swings (upright) per doctor's suggestion and now that they are older they use the Podee Bottles which allow them to each while sitting up. Not sure if all still helps but we don't really have any more problems!!!

abby said...

Hallie's reflux also got worse once she was home. We started her on zantac, and, like your experience with it, it seemed to not really do much good at all. Then we added prilosec (in an oral suspension for infants) to the mix. That helped a bit. Things really got better when we began to add both the zantac and the prilosec to Hallie's bottle, and these days she is hardly spitting up at all anymore. This breakthrough happened about six weeks ago (when she was three months corrected), so her age and greater GI maturity might have something to do with the improvement. Also, Hallie does really well on the Dr. Brown's bottles. (We have a bottle graveyard and have tried every bottle and nipple combo there is to try. These work best for us). Anyway, I agree with Olivia and Avery's mom--try a bunch of tricks until something works. And also, be sure that her meds are adjusted every time Edwin grows (even just a few ounces or half pound) since they stop working if the dosage is too small.

Good luck with everything!

Sarah Furlough said...

My son, Cooper (surviving 26 week twin)had horrible reflux. He had such bad reflux that he actually choked a couple of times when we brought him home. He was started on Prevacid, which made a world of difference (after a week or so). We also held him upright for 20-30 after he ate.

www.furloughfamily.com

Shannon said...

Zantac is only to help with the acid in the esophagus. Ashton has severe silent reflux (used to have life threatening spells and it was then that he had to have a gj tube). Since then he has only had two of these bad spells. However is reflux is very bad. When we had the ph probe done it showed that in 24 hours he was almost constantly refluxing. This is the best test for checking how bad it is.

I started Ashton on prevacid and within days noticed a big difference. Still not great but better. I would maybe talk to your doctor about doing prevacid and zantac.

Good luck!

Lisa said...

Zantac was basically useless for both of my babies. It wasn't until we started Prevacid that we started to see some improvement. My daughter was on it until she was about a year adjusted.

Hope your sweetie gets some relief soon!

WeeOnesMommy said...

swallow studies and well that caused reflux a real lot. So the doc put him on zantac.. IT WAS TERRIBLE.. It made it worse and he was not happy. When I talked to the doc about it they changed him to prilosec and i have to say after 4 to 5 days he stopped and has not had reflux at all ever since..
SO maybe they can try that for little edwin..

Good luck to you and the babies.
Your always in my thoughts..