Thursday, July 24, 2008

Orthopedics today!

Well, we had a great visit with our new orthopedist. First we spoke with a resident, (UMass is a teaching hospital). He was SUPER nice and listened very carefully and asked a lot of questions. He closely looked at Edwin, bent his legs, pushed on his feet, etc etc. Then Dr. M came in and listened to my concerns. He said that as far a a dx, because Edwin's low tone has not turned to high tone, as it often does in CP, it might still be too early to get a dx without an MRI, or without a neuro. He said, but we don't need a dx of CP to get AFOs! He said, "Just by looking at Edwin I can tell he will benefit from AFOs and I am all in favor of giving kids AFOs who need them." He said he fully expected Edwin to do much better with the walker once he had the AFOs and said many of his kids who were not walking at E's age, walk only months after getting the AFOs!
So off we went to get a hip x-ray (standard), and get casted for the molds. Edwin did really well, squirmed here and there but didn't cry. We chose the black and red with flames for his DAFOs. THey should be in in 3-4 weeks!
We don't see Dr. M until Aug 28th, but I am going to try and move that up if the DAFOs come in soon.
I am very happy I had the knowledge from other moms to schedule this second opinion with a new orthopedist. I am thankful he listened and had a suggestion, other than the first ortho who said, "He's fine. AFOs won't help; see you in 6 months." So it was a long but very productive visit!
Thanks again to all my fellow AFO moms who helped guide me along, and hopefully will continue to do so.
One piece of advice I'm looking for is specific shoes I should get Edwin once we get the DAFOs. I know I have to wait to get him new shoes until we get them so I can try shoes on him with the DAFOs on. I've also heard Stride Rite is great. Any particular shoes? Do you have a name of the shoe that you really like that work well with the DAFOs?

Thanks all!!!!
We're going to Maine for the weekend to visit family, so I'll post pictures Sunday night/Monday!

10 comments:

Lori said...

Congrats on being listened to! Finally! I will be excited to see Edwin cruising in his new AFOS!

Emily said...

That's awesome! I can't wait to see the progress he makes with the orthotics. As far as shoes, we've found Crocs to be absolutely awesome but secondary to that is Stride Rite tennis shoes. Our orthotist cut down the fronts of Kota's orthotics quite a bit so they don't stick out too far past her toes which makes finding shoes easier.

Randi said...

Black and red with flames sound prefect for Edwin!!!

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

I'm sO excited for Edwin! I think he will do GREAT with them and they'll make a big difference.

As far as shoes go, crocs like Emily said are good. But my favorite are New Balance tennis shoes, they come in extra wide. Their pair we found are called micro-lite and I love them, they don't feel heavy and clunky at all.

Stride Rite didn't work for us as they were not "tall" enough through the top of the foot to fit the dafo in right if that makes any sense.

I'm so excited for your guys!

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Here are the ones we have, I love them, the don't look stark white/therapeutic like a lot of them do.

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceKJ608NBI.htm

Nancy said...

That is fantastic news!! I cant wait to see pics of E in them.

As for the shoes, we found that Stride Rite was a perfect fit for us. But Caitlyn has naturally very narrow feet. So she easily fit into a wide. The most common advice I have heard from parents that I have worked with in the past is that any shoe that is available in a wide is the shoe that will work. Standard shoes just won't fit around them.
Have fun on vacation!

Nancy said...

Oh I also wanted to mention we used to have to remove the insole of he shoe for a really good fit. Otherwise it seemed the shoes weren't "deep" enough to account for the plastic. So whenever we went shoe shopping, one of the things I would look at was how easily the insole came out.

Melissa said...

YES!!! I am so thrilled that Edwin is going to get AFO's. I hope they are a huge help for him! The colors/designs you chose sound very cool! I can't wait to see pics of them! I am sending you an email with info about the shoes....it's too long for a comment.

Heather said...

Steph,
I saw this article in the paper and thought of you guys. http://www.telegram.com/article/20080728/NEWS/807280648/1008/NEWS02

I know its not covered by insurance but may be a good place to check out and see how it compares to the other center you are going to. I am sure you saw the article too.

Kellars Mommy said...

Great news!!!!