Sunday, December 7, 2008

We're HOME!!!

Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't update yesterday. Serena began feeling better and slept less which made made my computer time non existent. Additionally, Edwin didn't train yesterday so I had some company when she did nap.
So they did an aggressive wean yesterday and Serena made it off Vapo Therm and onto a nasal canula at 2 liters by 8pm. They weaned her overnight to a liter, and she kept her sats up all night. Because we are comfortable with her, oxygen, monitors, albuterol, oral steroids, and Flovent,our pulmonologist advocated for us going home. Thank goodness he was on this weekend. He is the BEST!!!!
So we were home today by lunch!
We are keeping Serena on 1 liter O2 for 24 hours. Nebs every 4 hours, back on Flovent, 44mgs 2 puffs BID, and Pregnisone for several days (she's on a taper.)
She had a lot of difficulty walking...very weak and wobbly, but has improved in the past hour. She had a tubby with her brother and ate pretty well. When she napped she needed 2 3 liters, but I was able to move her down to 2 liters after 15 minutes. We'll see how she does tonight.
So we are on the mend. Thank you so much for all your comments, support, and healing thoughts.
Let's pray winter goes better and we stay far from the PICU!!!!!
I'll have pictures tomorrow!

6 comments:

Kellars Mommy said...

Ok guess I should've read here instead of scrolling to the last update I remember..Glad you're home Serena!

Randi said...

So happy for you all!

Vicky said...

I'm so happy to hear you are home! That's the best place for you all!
Welcome back and may it be PERMANENT!

readerof23wkblog said...

Hi Steph:

I am glad Serena is home! I will continue to pray for her full recovery. I hope you can get a little rest also ... Take care,
Love, Karen N

Sarah said...

Hey Steph, I've been trying to comment. Hopefully today will work.

Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and so glad she is doing much better!

Jennifer said...

Gosh, how yucky! That sounds just like Arianna was 2 years ago when she got parainfluenza type 3. We didn't know that was what she had until 5 days after we were in the PICU and they were releasing us to the step down floor and then to home. I thought it was funny they had her on contact restriction the day she was being discharged.

I'm glad she's home now - hospital stays are NO fun. There's been some really yucky stuff going around - lots of sick people everywhere! yuck!

I hope this is all the 'excitement' you guys get this season!