Tuesday, December 2, 2008

PICU Day 2

I'm a little too tired and emotionally drained to be blogging, but here it goes. As you know Edwin had a cold last week. We went to Maine and all was well until Sat. Serena began her tell-tale cough that means she is sick and will need O2. Sure enough she needed O2 to sleep Sat night and on the ride home from Maine Sunday while napping. She got worse Sunday night and by Monday she was really drained. Daddy stayed home and gave her treatments and had her rest. I went to work and called throughout the morning. By 2pm my mom came to relieve Edwin so he could train. 30 minutes after being there, Serena crashed. I work 1 minute from home and my mom called me to come home. One look at her and off to the ER we went. She was really tight and retracting in the car and we were brought right into the Pedi ER.
Long story short she got better for a bit then crashed again and moved from the step down PICU floor to the ICU. She had a terrible episode about 20 minutes into her admission to the ICU. SHe was so tired, scared, and stressed and was crying and trying to fight off the nurses who were trying to get her IV and set her up to the monitors. She was screaming and turned the darkest shade of blue I'd ever seen while I was holding her and the nurses where trying to get her settled. She went limp and her hands, face and lips were very blue. Her sats were in the 30s and they began bagging her, giving her blow by, (she was already on Vapo Therm), gave her breathing treatments, and gave her IV steroids. They ordered her IV terbuteline which mandated an EKG. It was a nightmare. I was so scared, and really thought for a second I might lose her. I thought she would be intubated, but thankfully with continuous breathing trreatments, 8 liters of vapo therm at 100% O2, IV drugs, etc she stabilized.
It is not RSV, and nop pneumonia. It came on quickly and hit incredibly hard.
So here we are. No real weaning yet. Still on continuous albuterol and vapo therm. We will be here for awhile. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you.

3 comments:

Randi said...

Praying hard for Serena. Is it RAD? Are they going to diagnose her with that, do you think?
Keep us posted, Stephanie. Chris, I and the boys will be praying.

Emily said...

I hope she turns the corner soon!

Vicky said...

Oh poor baby! And poor the rest of you too.... I am so glad that you got there in time and that they were able to help her so rapidly. I will be keeping your whole family in my thoughts. Update when you can and rest as well as you can too.