Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Edwin Fights for his Family

March 17, 2009
EDWIN RODRIGUEZ FIGHTS FOR HIS FAMILY
By KIRK LANG

Middleweight Edwin “La Bomba” Rodriguez - billed by his handlers in press releases with the ambitious tag “The Future of the Middleweight Division” - knows becoming the next big thing at 160 pounds will not happen overnight, in a week, or even a year from now. “One day at a time, one step at a time, keep working hard and I’ll be able to reach the expectations,” said Rodriguez, who recently signed a promotional contract with promoter Lou DiBella.
Rodriguez’ next step is a main event fight against Patrick Thompson in his hometown of Worcester, Massachusetts. Thompson only has a couple of more wins than losses but don’t let the poor record fool you. He’s fought a who’s who of quality opponents and stuck around for the final bell against, among others, John Duddy, Giovanni Lorenzo, Joe Greene, Vanes Martirosyan, Sechew Powell and Ishe Smith.


Even though Thompson has a habit of hanging in there, Rodriguez (9-0, 6 KOs) wants to impress. In other words, he’s planning on scoring a knockout. While stopping Thompson would be an accomplishment in and of itself, Rodriguez also feels he owes the ticket-buyers an exciting fight, or at least an exciting finish. “They want to see knockouts and that’s what I’m going to give them, especially at this time, when the economy is so bad,” said Rodriguez. “They’re paying their hard-earned money to go see a fight and it’s my duty to give it to them.”

Rodriguez also knows he’s going to have some rabid hometown supporters cheering on his every move, his every punch. He’s fighting at Mechanics Hall, a few minutes away from his dad’s old convenience store. A native of the Dominican Republic, the 23-year-old Rodriguez relocated to Worcester, MA with his four brothers 11 years ago. He turned pro in January of last year after a 93-bout amateur career that included taking gold at the 2005 USA Boxing National Championships and becoming a national Golden Gloves champion in 2006.


Rodriguez, under the guidance of trainer Peter Manfredo, Sr., has slowly been getting rid of bad habits from his amateur days, such as leaning back from punches. “I learned to stay in there, duck and weave and sit on my punches more,” said Rodriguez. “I feel like I’m doing that a lot more and I feel like I’m hitting harder.” Manfredo has been with Rodriguez since his third fight.


“Fight by fight I’ve just been seeing improvement with what I’ve been doing in the ring. I just improved so much in the year I’ve been with Peter,” said Rodriguez.

Rodriguez isn’t just a guy who fights for himself or for shiny belts. His longtime girlfriend Stephanie and their two-year-old twins keep him motivated to put his heart and soul into this boxing game and not cut any corners.


Rodriguez can also draw inspiration from his children. They know what it’s like to fight as well. They were born very prematurely, just 23 weeks after concepcion (full term is 40 weeks). Each twin only weighed one pound and three ounces. The chances of survival were slim but they beat the odds. However, his son was recently diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy.


“[It’s] not good but he’s happy and I love him and we’re just working on strength and conditioning to get him walking,” said Rodriguez. “But he’s a good kid and I’m happy with the decisions that I made and I’m happy he’s here with us.”

Rodriguez said he probably works even harder in the gym because of his son’s disorder. “Yes, because I want to give him a good life and I want to be able to make enough so he could be all set, even after I retire, and after I’m not here anymore,” he said. “I want to make sure that my son and my daughter are going to be OK ,that they’re going to be living comfortable, so that’s what I fight for and that’s what I strive for.”

Every time Rodriguez steps in the ring he sees an opponent that is trying to take food off of his family’s plate. Any loss would set his career back and lessen his prize money. Every win, on the other hand, only makes the next check that much bigger.

Rodriguez doesn’t plan on letting Thompson put a blemish on the unbeaten record he has built up so far. He knows Thompson will come to fight and try to take him eight rounds “but I don’t think it’s going to happen,” said Rodriguez.


Whether Thompson goes the distance or not, Rodriguez knows his opponent won’t bow out easily. “He’s not one of those fighters that doesn’t put up a fight,” said Rodriguez, “And I need somebody that going to put up a fight because that’s what’s going to help me keep learning and be a better fighter. Like I said, one step at a time.”


Tickets are on sale at the Mechanics Hall box office, www.mechanicshall.org, Manfredo’s Gym in Pawtucket (RI), and the Boys & Girls Club of Worcester. Doors open at 6:30 PM/ET, first bout at 7:00 PM/ET.

No comments: