Sunday, June 28, 2009

UPDATE!!!!

Wow...these past few weeks have been so busy. I am done Summer I classes (I took one online..a pre-req to my master's program...statistics..yuk, but got an A!!!). My grad class was wonderful...Issues in Development...we had issues to present...I presented CP and ROP. I will get my grade for that class today. I have a week off until Summer Session II.
Soooo, the kid's babysitter was a disaster...well that's probably overexaggerating. Anyway, it didn't work out and my mom, dad, and Edwin pitched in to cover while we waited for the kid's to be officially 2 years 9 months (Monday!!!!) so they can start daycare. It is closed for Monday and Tuesday, so they start daycare Wed at the location I work! I am excited, although nervous, but I'm sure things will go well. Everyone seems committed to accomodating the kids and of course I'll be there to ensure it!

In other news, Edwin and I went to see a perinatologist. We want more children in the future (probably 3 years..once I complete my degree and his career is hopefully bringing in the big bucks!) But I wanted to get a sense that this was a possibility, and wanted Edwin to hear it because he really feels strongly that he doesn't want another preemie. He is scared about it, and doesn't think it would be fair to S&E and I totally get that. So we had a consult and discussed what could have possibly happened last time. Of course they are not sure, but the plan will be to get P-17 injections and have internal ultrasounds to check my cervix from 13 weeks onward. If things begin to change, I will have a cerclage placed. Then at 36 weeks (because I WILL make it to 36 weeks) I will have an amnio to check lung development, and they recommend doing a c-section at this time if the lungs appear mature enough. This is because I had a classical c-section with the twins and there is a risk of uterine abruption, especially if your body goes into labor. Since Edwin and I are considering having another if this future pregnancy goes well, we obviously do not want to risk uterine abruption. But we'll see. I know how important a full 40 weeks are, and I do not want to have a section at 36 weeks if I do not 100% have to. That is something I'll look further into. But it feels good to have a plan, and to know that more children are a possibility for us. But again, this is a few years away!

Serena and Edwin are going great. They mature more and more every day, and I can't emphasize enough how the nice weather, the back yard, and our home has made such a positive impact on their development. I am so happy with the way things are going, and it's such an amazing thing to see them so incredibly happy. Yesterday the weather was perfect and we were outside for four hours straight (with sun screen lol) and the kids played in the kiddie pool, in their little outdoor house, in the sandbox, in the grass, ate hot dogs and cheese puffs outside and I was just so thrilled to have those experiences with them...to savor those moments. We are truly blessed.
Speaking of which we went to the NICU to visit on Friday. We were able to see some of the many nurses that cared for S&E throughout their 122 day stay. We also saw 2 neonatologists as well. Everyone was impressed and happy to see them playing, smiling, and most importantly I think, being loved. I hope they understand just how important their work is, however controversial it may be at times. I know we are forever grateful for the technology and expertise of our NICU, and feel so fortunate to have our miracle children. We never dismiss their challenges or issues, but we knew we would face them, and of course to us, their lives are so worth it!

So, I don't have any new pictures, because as I went to take some yesterday I realized my memory card is missing out of it. I was upset, and need to look harder for it, or buy one. But I have to get one soon because yesterday we bought a 4' deep by 20' pool and I can't wait to get pics of the kids in it!

Happy Summer!!!!

1 comment:

Randi said...

Isn't it nice to be with the kids in the yard? It's almost a spiritual experience, isn't it?
Stephanie, I know I have said this before, but I am glad to know you and to have your family as friends of mine. You guys are terrific.