Friday, May 16, 2008

URGENT!!!! *Edited*

I'm sorry I have ZERO time, but I had to come here and create this post.
Last night while watching tv I saw one of those "Sunny side of truth" commercials, the tobacco ones that expose the tobacco company in a pretty convincing way.
Anyway, it was on how in 1971 when it was pointed out that smoking causes low birthweight infants, one tobaccos exec reportedly said "it's ok some women like smaller babies." Anyway, good message, that was a stupid comment ok. Well, no. They went on to show sickly cartoon babies jumping out of isolettes and singing a song calling them, sickly, wrinkly, and hamster-like without fur (too much in a rush to quote sorry.) But you can view the video for yourself here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypn3xpvA1eQ

I urge you all to go to www.thetruth.com after you watch the video on youtube (the one on their website cuts out all the demeaning words about low birthweight infants) and go to contact us and send an email. I sent one already and plan to send more and to contact the March of Dimes and get them involved.

So if you have a chance, check out the terrible ad and send your thoughts to sunny side of truth.

I'll update more later!


So I did some snooping, and I found the phone number of the representative of the The American Legacy Foundation, the foundation responsible for the "truth" campaign. She was very nice, and very understanding...I was as well which I'm sure helped. I explained to her that I wholeheartedly understood and agreed with the message 'truth' is getting out, and understood the importance of "shock value" with respect to targeting young people. I told her I agreed that the idea that an exec at the tobacco company would think that the product he worked to promote was acceptable to pregnant women because "some women prefer smaller babies" was ridiculous and should be exposed.
My issue lies solely with the way in which these small, sick babies were portrayed. Specifically, the wording that was used to describe them. Including: "limp", "scrawny", "scary", "like a gerbil but not as hairy", "little, puckered, innie, weanie, shriveled, tiny babies." I told her I thought it dehumanized small, sick infants, and felt there would have been a way to get the point across without using this terminology to describe the low birthweight infant. I told her as a parent of two extremely sick, low birthweight infants, and an aunt to an ELBW infant who passed, I could not help but be insulted by likening the smallest and sickest to gerbils without hair.
I have Patricia's email address and she encouraged me to email her my thoughts so she would have them in written form to pass on to the advertisers. This ad will only be airing until the end of June, but I think and she agreed, that it is important to explain why some of us are insulted by the terminology used to describe ill babies.
I think it is important that we remember what the ad is about...to show how ludicrous it is that an exec would think everything was well and good with smoking mothers because some mothers want smaller babies. This ad is not like the older March of Dimes ads in the "campaign of blame" where they would show a set of footprints of a preemie and a full termer and the print would read "which one's mother smoked?" This is not about smoking mothers, or any blame for prematurity, which I am happy about. But I am not happy about the wording used to describe low birthweight, sick infants. This is where the problem lies.

So please share your thoughts. I told her I was part of a large online support group of preemie mom bloggers, some of whom were also upset about the ad. I told her we fundraise for the March of Dimes and do our part to educate others on prematurity and advocate for our children, many of whom have medical and special needs. I assured her that we could tell any tobacco exec or any ignorant mother the realities of having ill, low birthweight infants. But also are children have value and should not be compared to hairless gerbils.
So please comment some feedback so I may include it in an email. I was told this was the first phone call they have received regarding this ad and she was very appreciative that I approached her in a calm way because they have had some nasty callers in the past regarding other ads. So I'd ask if you want to call or email that you do so in a polite way (I know you will) because she is a very nice woman and truly their message is an important one. The number is available online so I don't feel guilty posting it here: Patricia McLaughlin 202-454-5560. Her email was not published but given to me by her so I feel a little wrong publishing it here, but if you have anything to add please add it and I'll include it in my email and cite your name, or feel free to give her a call.

Thanks for your feedback/opinion of the language in the ad.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I don't think its that bad actually - it gets the point across in a wierd sort of way. Its making fun of the point that tobacco company execs said that some women want smaller babies... and followed it up with comments about how ridiculous it was.

I agree with them - it is ridiculous. It's a good ad because it gets the point across in a 'new way' that people will remember and talk about (which you're doing so their point is made).

It's crass but sometimes its needed to make it 'legendary'.

Miracles said...

Stephanie I haven't watched the video yet but soon will. It just infuriates me to hear that some women actually have this mentality in this day and age. I had an old friend tell me that she smoked during her entire pregnancy just to avoid a large baby. This was right after I finished telling her the birth story of my girl's. Not a good thing to say to a mom of two preemies. I would have given ANYTHING to have a large baby.

23wktwinsmommy said...

Jenn, I hear what you're saying, but I strongly disagree. I completely agree with the message that smoking during pregnancy is unhealthy and just plain wrong, and of course I agree that no one should ever wish to have a low birthweight infant.
The problem I have is the way in which the ad chooses to portray "sick" infants. I understand the purpose of their message, but I think the way they went about it was distasteful. To me, it's not funny to see these little cartoon grayish babies jumping out of isolettes. It's not funny or amusing to me to sing a song calling them "small", "limp", "sickly", "scrawny", "scary", "like a gerbil but not as hairy", "little, puckered, innie, weanie, shriveled, tiny babies."
I realize I am sensitive based on my personal experience, but I felt the ad really insulted EVERY small, sick baby.
And I can't help but think about those tiny babies who didn't make it. I don't think likening sick, low birthweight babies who have lost their lives to gerbils is in good taste, regardless of the message they're trying to get out. I think back to holding my dead niece, and although she wasn't big, fat, or healthy, I don't think calling her "scrawny", "shriveled", or "scary" is acceptable at all. No one that I know *wanted* a sick, low birthweight infant, but it is our reality. To the exec who thought some women wanted smaller babies, and to the women who say they do, there is a better way to show the painful reality of having a sick infant without dehumanizing them.

Sarah said...

Hey Steph,

I sent an email and will call later as well.

I understand the shock factor of the video, and in my email I simply said that premature birth is extremely traumatic and painful, I know of no one who smoked and ended up with a premature baby, and that it shouldn't be made a mockery of. I also said that I never referred to him as 'sickly' but merely a 'little soul.' Our pastor used to say that to us all of the time so that we would look at him as a soul, a person, and not a 'thing.' It really changed my perspective. I viewed him with utter compassion after that.

I also wrote that this is the first ad I had seen with a cartoon, that if they had to use cartoon babies and isolettes it was probably in poor taste.

Anyway, hope all is well on your end.

Shannon said...

Wow I don't even really know what to think! I mean I totally understand their motive but I agree that the words used are just wrong.

Melissa said...

I completely agree with your take on it Steph. I know what they were trying to accomplish, and it is a worthy goal and message, but my boys have been precious and gorgeous from the first moment I saw them.....tiny, wrinkled, limp, scrawny, and shriveled as they were. I only saw my babies....love and hope and beauty. That's what all moms see...and to use their sickly appearance in a cartoonish way, to poke fun at it, just to make a point, is hurtful and mean. These are our CHILDREN, for goodness sake.