Monday, November 24, 2008

Not saying goodbye to O2, or nurses either...***Update***

Soooo...after my ranting post last week, Edwin proceded to get sick quickly and has barely slept or eaten since Friday night and is needing between 1/2 liter to 1 1/2 liters of O2 while asleep. We started on the pregnisone yesterday and have a visit with pulmonary this afternoon to make sure it is not pneumonia AGAIN (he's had it twice.) Anyway, we won't be losing nursing this Dec as I had worried. I'm sure with this it is evidence that any cold will send them back on O2 while asleep (and a large amount), plus breathing treatments every few hours, and a lot of stress, lack of sleep, and debates about going to the ER.
I shouldn't have complained too much. I'd way rather have 2 healthy kids without nursing than watch my little guy wheeze, struggle to breathe, and require more and more O2 to keep him satting in the 90s. :(
We are suppose to go to Maine for Thanksgiving to spend with my family on Wednesday. Please pray he is well enough to go and that Serena stays healthy. She slept with high sats all night without O2, and appears to feel ok.
As for development, Serena has well over 100 words and was repeating EVERYTHING yesterday. Daddy is beginning to teach her Spanish because she appears ready. Edwin(before he got sick Friday night) was doing WONDERFULLY with his walker, independent standing for several seconds, and verbalizing (making sounds, not clear cut words.) We have an appointment with a specialized speech clinic through Boston's Childrens set for the end of March (first avilable...but we are on the cancellation list.)
Hopefully he can feel better and get back to some of his independence with standing and walking in the walker. Right now he's a limp, floppy, sick, tired noodle. My poor baby....


***Update...got a call from Children's...there was a cancelation for Dec 30th. He will be seen and evaluated then. I am hopeful they will have a plan for him and help us move toward a talking/understanding Edwin. :)

***2nd update. Edwin slept through the night with only 1/4 liter of O2, had sats at 98 all night, didn't desat once, didn't cough or cry once, and was still sleeping when I left at 10 this morning! So was Serena (her sleep has been disrupted by E the past few days. Yay! Looks like we can go to Maine tomorrow to be with family on Thanksgiving!!!!!! Everyone enjoy your Holiday!

5 comments:

Nathali said...

Hope he is feeling better soon and that it's NOT pneumonia!!!

Kellars Mommy said...

Get better fella! I have been crossing my fingers and toes that pneumonia stays away from our house this year! Kellar had it several times last year ( so much they tested him for cf ) and the first sign of a sniffle or cough I'm pumping the meds in! ( not really for any blog lurkers that may come and question my parenting skills..haha! ) My aunt and uncle went to Maine and they absolutely loved it and still talk about how beautiful it is this time of year...

Randi said...

That is scary, Stephanie. I am glad Edwin is feeling better. My heart goes out to you.
Randi

Emily said...

I hope you guys can make your trip! Prednisone is amazing stuff. haha.

twinboysmom said...

Sorry to hear your kids are sick!! Hopefully you were able to have a great holiday! I read your last post and wanted to commment about the childcare situation. First, there are some nationally acredited "daycare chains" that are required by law to accept all children into their programs, even if this means hiring extra certified staffing to meet the needs of all children. The one that comes to mind is Kindercare and all their sister daycare centers. Granted it's still a center but your needs might be met at a place like that. I'm not sure what you have in your immediate area but check online. Also, in some states (and I have no idea about MA) children are entitled to benefits from their local school district once they turn 3. I know people who have found full day preschool programs catered for their child. My friends son goes to a program for speech delay and other issues and he gets picked up by a bus and dropped of each day, despite being 3. Of course there are aids on teh bus and it's not a bus filled iwth big kids going to school. Again, I do'nt know about MA but check into any programs offered by your school district! Good luck!