Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hair cut, runny noses, and a controversial post to come

The shopping cart (note my boy's out of control hair!)

After his second-ever hair cut


Edwin didn't cry or whine ONCE during his haircut...he was entertained by a comb, looking at himself in the mirroe, and the oversized blush-brush thing. This is his second haircut and he did just as well the first time.

In other not so good news, the kids have runny noses and congestion. Nothing earth shattering, and hopefully won't go that route. E was up most of the night coughing and threw up a little...he can't handle post nasal drip. It's 10:30am and he's still asleep! Fingers crossed this doesn't amount to anything that requires oral steroids or oxygen.

On Thursday I will be attending a lecture at my alma mater, College of the Holy Cross, on the Ethics of Neonatal Intensive Care. The speaker was one of the neos who cared for our twins in their 4 month stay, is a fellow alum of the college, and was one of my mom's students the first year she taught the Organic Chemistry Lab. The posters advertising the talk say things like "Tiny Babies, Huge Dilemma," and "Do No Harm...But Who Decides?" Let's just say it will be interesting to say the least.
I will do a post on that as well as on my second SpedPac meeting which is with the school board and is on Wednesday night.
Speaking of Special Ed, as of EI scoring last week, Serena is not delayed in any area...which would be great, but I beg to differ. She is doing great, but I don't want some of her delays overlooked because E is so much more delayed. I came on my lunch break and didn't have much time to look closely at the testing, but they are coming this Friday and I will make my case then.
Basically, I really feel Serena would benefit from Preschool in the public school this fall (when she turns 3) and I want her to be given a chance to catch up to her peers. She has had very little peer interaction, she needs to work on balance issues, and she will need more in-depth speech therapy to help with her voice due to the vocal cord paralysis. Even if she doesn't "need" special education, she is still 4 months behind her peers (the testing coupled 24 months-29 months and Serena scored closer to 24 months in several areas.) I think getting her in school will help with all these things. Additionally, I want S&E together as much as possible. They are now so close and look for each other and interact constantly.

So look forward to a jammed packed post laster in the week!

No comments: