Friday, February 27, 2009

March of Dimes...April 19th!!!!

So, I have put this off long enough now. I kept going back and forth about this for awhile now. Basically, I'll put it out there...advertising for the MOD sucks. It makes me really mad. There is always a beautiful fat, healthy looking babies on their brochures and flyers. If not, there are babies who were once on oxygen but who are "fine." It sends the message prematurity hit, MOD's research stepped in, saved the day, and now this child is healthy, and "normal." I really wish thei were the case...but we know it's not.

I also hate when they use the word "normal." In the latest news article from our city's paper about this years Ambassador family it was the same deal.
Here is a direct quote from the paper:

"She was just starting to enjoy being pregnant when her whole world changed. At 3 a.m. on a cold January night in 2006, she went into labor 12 weeks early. The following couple of months spent in the hospital, and all of the exhaustive, nerve-racking medical attention, were huge challenges for Mrs. McLennan and her family.


Andrew is now a normal, healthy little boy, but after such a traumatic experience, some people would just try to move on and forget it."

This family is not just forgetting about it, as they are reaching out and working with the MOD and helping to bring awareness, but I guess the point is, they are not dealing with any effects of prematurity, or at least are not talking about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them...but that's not the reality of premature birth that I personally see in my own situation and in the situation of our fellow micro preemies whom I've grown to love. How can you understand the urgency of this epidemic if you don't recognize how much prematurity DOES effect the former preemie and their family? Why would you want to contribute your hard earned money if you think after a year or two everything is fine???

I just feel like after all these years, the public at large still has little to know idea about prematurity, and it leads me to wonder if the MOD is really doing their job.

I also shared here over a year ago what upset me when I got invited to the prematurity summit. To my dismay everything discussed in the Summit was around maternal healthcare...everything from smoking, drinking, oral health, obesity, to domestic violence as causes of prematurity. COME ON!!! I'm all for educating moms about prenatal care and healthy choices and lifestyles while pregnant, but what about me? A healthy woman who sought prenatal care from 5 weeks on? Where are my answers? Can we go on to have another baby, or would I risk having another preemie? Does the MOD do more than just talk about how unhealthy women have preemie babies?

After, much thought and reflection, I know that the MOD does a great job with research. All you have to do is go to their page and look into the current research projects being funded. Ignore the cute smiling babies that are helping to fuel the "everything is normal" advertising flaw, and check out what they are actually doing with this money. There is a lot of great things going on with research! I only wish they would make this more public!

Additionally, the MOD is the only organization that I am aware of that raises money for research into prevention of premature bith as well as ways to help medically support preemies babies in the NICU. Therefore, it is the only organization that I know of that has the potential to one day "cure" premature birth.

I know economic times are incredibly tough, and I know I have been asking friends and family to come out and buy tickets to Edwin's fight to help support his career, so admittedly I feel guilty about asking people to reach into their wallets and support Team Serena and Edwin, Jr. We always planned to walk, the debate was whether or not to raise money. So I'm leaving it up to you. I know things are tight now and I know I've asked for your support at Edwin's fights, and of course tickets aren't cheap, so I totally understand if you can't make much of, or any, financial contribution. But if you can, rest assured, I've looked into it and your money is going to a great cause.

More importantly, if you are interested in joining our team and walking with us, that would mean so much. The walk to me is about the pride I feel in Serena and Edwin, and an honor to their sturggle and survival. It is also in loving memory of our neice who lost her life to prematurity, and the many others who were born too soon. This walk is a way to pay tribute to prematurity awareness. And maybe someday soon our city will chose an Ambassador family who is still feeling the effects of prematurity 2 years out...Then, and only then, will the public really understand the gravity of extreme prematurity and feel compelled to do MORE about it.

4/19/2009 10:00:00 AM

City Hall in Worcester
Corner of Franklin Street and Main St
Worcester, MA 01608
Walk Distance:3miles
Registration Time: 9:00AM
Start Time:10:00 AM
Chapter:Central Mass Division
Phone #: (508) 366-9066

3 comments:

Randi said...

Hi Stephanie!
When is the walk?

Emily said...

Hey Stephanie, I emailed you a couple of days ago to your address that's used for the group. I haven't heard from you which could just be because I know you're busy but when you have a chance if you could let me know more about Serena's vocal cord surgery and her doctor I'd be really happy.

23wktwinsmommy said...

Hey emily,
I never got that email...but I just emailed you and told you to forward it to me and I'd answer everything..sorry about that.

Randi, the walk is April 19th.

4/19/2009 10:00:00 AM

City Hall in Worcester
Corner of Franklin Street and Main St
Worcester, MA 01608
Walk Distance:3miles
Registration Time: 9:00AM
Start Time:10:00 AM
Chapter:Central Mass Division
Phone #: (508) 366-9066