Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Disbelief

I have been semi absent from the blog world, and didn't realize there has been very serious allegations surrounding one of my fellow preemie moms, a mom's blog I frequently read, a mom I privately emailed about a shared issue our children had, a mom I gave my home telephone number to as well because she seemed so interested in a procedure one of my children had!
The allegations are unimaginable to me and at no point can I begin to understand why a mother would such a thing. Mental illness, stress, etc are hypothesized reasons, but I can't fathom purposely keeping your child sick and risking their death.
I have two children with medical and special needs, and it can be challenging, but under no circumstance would I ever do anything to intentially make them sick or potentially kill them!
This mother was caught on video tape smearing feces into her daughter's IV line, and admitted to hospital staff that she had done it several times before. This is a child who was in and out of the hospital many times throughout her yoiung life, and I can only imagine if there were other instances of abuse.
I know some people will make excuses about her being overwhelmed concerning her daughter's heath, etc. But ASK for help. Reach out. She had a lot of support in this virtual preemie world and support from family. She also has other children.
I am shoked and disgusted, and hope these children have the support and love of family to care for them.

Some people might feel bad for this mother....I feel bad for the children.

4 comments:

Joey said...

Ditto. I too feel bad for the children. Like you said stress is no excuse, I am a Mom to a former 23 weeker and yes taking care of him has been overwhelming at times and the worst part of it I have NO FAMILY in this country.I would never harm a child who I fought so hard to keep alive.

Randi said...

I am shocked. That is just so horrendous. I too feel badly for the children.

Sarah said...

I don't know what to think, either. I'm saddened by it in so many ways. I feel bad for the entire family, for her husband and for all of her children. They all have to be so confused.

Lisa said...

Must be someone I don't know. However another Mom, a preemie Mom, had her son taken away in Feb with similar allegations. I feel so bad for the kids.