Friday, January 5, 2007

My first post

Serena Lynn Rodriguez at birth
1 lb 3.2 ounces, 12" long; born at 3:18am on September 29, 2006; 23 and 5/7 gestation


Serena on 12/29/06 about 1 month before original due date



Edwin Kelly Rodriguez, Jr at birth
1 lb 3.6 ounces, 12" long; born at 3:20am on September 29, 2006; 23 and 5/7 gestation


Edwin on 12/22/06 about 1 month before original due date



Hello,

My name is Stephanie and this is my very first blog. I have been keeping track of my life since Septermber 29, 2006 in another place, but decided to create a blog that everyone could view.
This post will be relatively quick since I am on my way back to the hosiptal shortly; but I will begin where all must...from the beginning.

My fiancee and I found out we were expecting twins when I was only 5 weeks pregnant. We were so excited and I enjoyed my pregnancy so much. Everything changed on September 26, 2006. During a routine internal ultrasound it was discovered that my cervix was shortening and I was funneling. A check of my cervix was performed and I was found to be 3 centimeters dialated. I was admitted to labor and delievery and kept on strict bedrest. I was given meds to try and stop my contractions and was given 48 hours worth of steroids for my twin's lungs. On Friday September 29, 2006, at 23 weeks and 5 days pregnant, I gave birth to my daughter Serena by way of emergency C-Section. My son, Edwin Jr, followed two minutes later. Serena weighed only 1 pound 3.2 ounces and Edwin weighed 1 pound 3.6 ounces.
As of today, it has been 98 days since their traumatic birth. So much has happened throughout these past 3 1/2 months. I will post the week-to-week and sometimes day-to-day posts I have already written soon.
My twins are still in the NICU, but the word discharge has been uttered by the NICU team over the past few days. I am hopeful within the next 3-4 weeks they will be home. They will be comming home on oxygen.
I decided to start this blog because of a few inspiring blogs I had read while frantically looking for others who had been through what our family was going through. I want to especially thank Holland and Eden's mom, billie, for sharing her family's unbelievable story. When any baby is born, that parent's life is changed forever; but, when you are a mom or dad of a 23 weeker I think only other micropreemie parents can truly understand what you are going through. I started this blog in hopes that our story would offer hope and explanations to others in similar situations.
I am so grateful for my Edwin and Serena, and I know we have many battles to conquer as time goes on. I am thankful for the strength to advocate for my children, especially when told that Edwin had a zero percent chance of survial. I am thankful to the wonderful NICU nurses and doctors who have saved my children's lives, and continue to do so while they are still there.
I hope my story can serve as an inspiration the way that many of other micropreemie mom's stories have done for me.

-Stephanie
Never give up hope!

1 comment:

Miracles said...

Hi Stephanie I came across your blog and wanted to post a comment. I am a mom to 27 weeker twin girl's. They are now 18months (15 months corrected) I know exactly what you are going through. It is the greatest time of your life and yet the scariest. So much uncertainty always hangs in your heart. Just be strong. When this happened to us I told myself "what doesn't kill me will make me stronger" and it has.
You will amaze yourself at times.
As a mom of a preemie I appreciate every single acheivement, even if it was just one of them rolling over. You will too. Maybe we were chosen to be mother's to preemie's. Who knows? From your pictures they look like true little fighters. Don't worry you'll get through this. There are a lot of us out there.
Take Care,
Shannon