Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A tentative date for discharge

Daddy cutting Serena's nails


Miss Serena


Serena on her original due date 1/21/07


Edwin on his original due date 1/21/07


Edwin looking at Mommy


Little man




Hello all.
Today was a good day. We had our home equipment training and heard that Edwin and Serena will most likely be discharged on Monday! I am obviously beyond excited, as we have been waiting for this day for what seems like forever. My original due date was the 21st so we are not far behind at all. The twins themselves have been ready for home, it is more about the private duty nursing care schedule we have been waiting for.
I am so excited to have my 2 loves home. We as a family have been through so much, as fellow preemie moms are likewise aware. My mother has been a constant force throughout everything, and to her I am eternally greatful. Grammie has not missed one day of visiting Serena and Edwin since their birth on 9/29/06. She has been right by our sides through the good and rough times. She has cleaned our apartment, bought things for us and the twins, helped with diaper changes, feedings, and the like. She has been at rounds almost daily and has been a HUGE support to myself and Edwin. She is an incredible mother and the best grandmother I could ever wish for my children. I love you mom and I am so greatful for all you have done. Serena and Edwin are so lucky to have a Grammie like you. Thank you also to my step-dad who has been very understanding of all the time/money my mom has put toward myself and the twins.
Well, I realize many of the other micropreemie moms who have found me (which I am sooo happy about) do not know a lot about our family. Let me give a brief overview. I am a college gradute who had hopes for law school. I was accepted to law school with an academic scholarship which was to begin this past 2006/2007 academic year, but fate had other plans and I became pregnant with my twins and I deferred until next fall. I am not sure if I will be attending in the fall because of all the twins medical needs, but some day I will go even if it is part time.
Daddy Edwin is a boxer. He is currently the number 1 ranked amateur boxer at 165 pounds in the country. He is on the USA team and is a realistic Olympic hopeful. He is very talented and very determined. We are all very proud of him and support his dreams.
Speaking of boxing, Edwin is fighting tonight and I should probably take a shower and get ready to go to it. I am so interested in micropreemie blogs I swear I could sit here all day and read every one. I am sooo inspired by the love and dedication of fellow mothers, and it gives me so much hope for my children's futures. I see smiling faces of former preemies who are loved and cheerished by their families, and that is what is important to me. As long as Edwin and Serena know they are loved I know everything will be okay.
A quick note on their health...Edwin passed his hearing test, Serena will have hers tomorrow or tonight. Edwin's head ultrasound is normal, Serena has an "echo" spot that has never gone away, we don't know what it is but I am trying not to focus on it and we will deal with whatever it may or may not mean when she begins reaching developmental milestones. Edwin hit 5 pounds, Miss Serena is nearly there at 4 15.6 as of last night. Both are feeding very well from the bottle, and I hope to resume breastfeedung at home when I am less stressed. (I was freaking out about daily weight gains and it began to take its toll and discouraged me from breastfeeding, but I have kept up with pumping and I will feed them once they're home and suppliment some feeds with a bottle of my milk mixed with formula to provide a 30 cal "meal").
So let's keep our fingers crossed for Monday! Tomorrow is our first overnight can't wait!!!

8 comments:

abby said...

Hi Stephanie, Edwin Sr. Serena, and Edwin Jr. We are thrilled to hear about the tentative disccharge date and that the twins are doing so well. The pics. are lovely and it's great that you have such a wonderful support network. Wishing you all the best,

Abby, Sharon, and Hallie

Anonymous said...

Stephanie and family- we have all been praying for you since the beautiful babies early arrival! We have looked forward to the emails from your mom(Bess has been forwarding them to us!)Just know we are thinking about you all--Our oldest Reilly, is nine and a half and loves to get on the internetafter school to see the latest pictures of Serena and "Champ"!!
Take Good Care of each other!!

Love-
Ritchie, Sunshine, Reilly, & Corey

Miracles said...

So happy to hear they are coming home soon. I Know how excited you must be.
Don't worry about Serena's ultrasound. Olivia had/has the same thing. They were never able to tell us exactly what it was, or for that matter how it would effect her. She is doing absolutely fine. What I have always told myself was, we all may have a spot on our brain as well, we don't know about it because we were term babies who weren't picked and poked at day after day. One thing I had to learn very early on was keep a positive open mind about everything.I had to always tell myself "I don't care what obsticles I may be faced with, I'm just happy they are alive." Which from what I have read on your posts you do.

Congrats to you both!! It is an incredible journey being a mom of twins.

Jamie and Jill said...

Stephanie,
I just got caught up on your AMAZING story. Miracles DO happen and I am so excited for your two little ones to be going home. The NICU roller coaster is a ride I would never wish on anyone.....you survived it and I know you and Edwin will be great parents.

Lathan, Lauren, Logan, London said...

WOW...congrats on the tenative discharge date!

It was so nice to read about you and your family (aren't Mom's the BEST!). I wish you a very restful next few nights...stock up on as much sleep as you can!!!

Stephanie
P.S.
Those cheeks on those little ones are just about the CUTEST things ever!

Billie said...

Stephanie,
Woo Hoo! I am so happy to hear that Serena and Edwin will be coming home soon.

I am also incredibly glad that Holland and Eden's blog (and my blogging) has been such a positive inspiration for you.

When we started our blog, there were not many micropreemie stories out there that were still being updated. It was our hope to provide information and support for newer families beginning the NICU/micropreemie journey.

You are lucky that your babies were born after the whole blog thing had really caught on. There are so many other parents and families to connect with that are older to give you a peek into what the future may hold for your twins.

I look forward to watching Serena and Edwin grow and flourish at home with their parents! They seem to be doing so well.

I will add you to our blog roll today!
Billie

Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Get some sleep NOW - I remember not taking that advice myself before Sarah's discharge. Enjoy the whole homecoming experience, it was one of the best days of my life.

Sarah Furlough said...

I found your blog through the preemie blog group.
Congrats, I just got through reading about your amazing babies! I look forward to watching them grow, and can't wait to hear they are home!

www.furloughfamily.com