Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sad day

First I want to thank you for leaving me great advice on my last post. Unfortunately tonight while Edwin and I were at the hospital the baby I mentioned in my last post began doing very poorly. Mom is spanish-speaking and as I walked back into the pod she looked at me frantically with tears in her eyes and said "is your husband here?" "please!" I turned to the Dr and she said, "I can't relay what I need to in my broken spanish, she wants to talk to Edwin, if he doesn't mind will he translate? Please let him know it's not good news." Edwin was feeding Serena and I told him. He was reluctant at first, but I told him the mom had specifically asked for him. Edwin had to tell this poor mom that there was nothing more the team could do to save her little girl. Edwin was very brave in having to tell her this news, and I know it was so hard, but I also know this mom was greatful to understand what was going on with her precious child. Then the interpreter came in and was able to translate. Unfortuately, her daughter started to drop her heart rate and sats. Thankfully she had already called her husband who arrived safely even in the snowy weather we are currently experiencing. The nurse came in and alerted us that we may want to leave if we felt we needed to. This poor family was losing their "B twin." (I know her name but for matters of their privacy I'll refer to them as twin A and B)
So as I sit here writing this, a family has lost their child. Please pray for this family in this impossibly difficult time, and pray that "Twin A" reamins stable and healthy.
Times like this remind me of how incredibly lucky we are to have our premature babies. Like most of you, it was not my fault I delievered so early. We did not drink, smoke, or abuse drugs...I'm sure many of us didn't even have coffee or soda, (I know I didn't). It is very hard for mothers especially because we carry a lot of guilt for delievering early. I pray that this family is comforted by whatever higher authority they believe in and know that this was no fault of their own. And may those of us who have experienced near-death with our preemies continue to be greatful for our children and always be willing to reach out to others who need us.
Thank you to all who have begun reading my blog and taking such interest in our family. You have touched my life and inspired me to write for others. Thank you.

No comments: