Monday, January 29, 2007

WE'RE HOME!!!

Hi everyone! We are finally home! It has been 122 days, and Edwin and I finally carried Serena and Edwin into our home. We are very excited, anxious, and nervous all at the same time. So far so good. The nurse will be here until 11pm and then we are on our own until tomorrow morning at 9am. It is nice to have help, but I can't deny I will be happy to have them all to ourselves for a few hours tonight...we have had someone here since we walked in the door.
My mom took pictures and I will upload them on here soon. We also got their pictures taken by the welcome nursery photoshop and they came out so sweet...Edwin had his eyes opened, but Serena wouldn't wake up for anything. We got pics of them invidually as well as a "twin" shot.
The next few weeks will be sooo busy with follow up appointments. Pedi on Fri. Serena's hearing screen Tuesday (she referred in her left ear after a few attempts, please pray she has hearing in both ears!), Pulmonology on Thurs., and eye exam Fri for follow up from ROP laser surgery. We also have Edwin's renal ultrasound a week later (he had some abnormalities in his last one...nephrocalcinosis and some calietasis. Please pray everything turns out okay with that). Not to mention EI appointments at our home weekly. We will be busy bees, but at least we are home.
As I reflect back upon the past 4 months, I have to admit at first I wasn't 100% certain I would be taking both of my children home. I don't know if this makes me a bad mother or just a realist. I never gave up hope of course, but I was realistic and took what the doctors said seriously. My children were born extremely premature and Edwin especially had very sick lungs. It is very scary to think that I almost lost my children...they are my entire life now, along with Edwin and the rest of my family, and I don't know how I would even function without them. I feel so greatful that the NICU our children were born at is so amazing. We received great care and I am so thankful for all the nurses, doctors, respiratory therapists who helped Serena and Edwin.
I know we have A LOT in store, and some of it might not be happy news. I can't say I am prepared for it all...who could be? But I know the realities of what I can expect to expect...if you know what I mean. But right now I want to focus on my adorable twins and just cuddle, kiss, and hug them. I want them to feel loved and secure. My life is forever changed, and for that I am thankful. Being a mother is truly an unbelievable experience and I am so greatful I am experiencing it!
I will keep you all up to date and pics will be posted soon!

6 comments:

Miracles said...

HOW EXCITING! They are finally home! I wish you both the best. Don't worry too much. What is meant to be will be. You can't change it.

I'm looking forward to seeing some new pics of the two little miracle babies.

Shannon said...

I just came across your site from Olivia & Avery's. They were born just after my son at the same hospital. I am so happy for you that your precious babies are finally home!

My son was born at 24 weeks and spent 227 days in the NICU so I know how hard of a road it is. He has been home for a year now and I cannot believe how fast time goes!

Good luck to you!! I will be sure to come back and see these pictures!!

(If you wouldn't mind I am going to add this site to my sons.)

abby said...

Welcome home, Serena and Edwin! I was thrilled to read about your homecoming this morning, and can't wait to see the pictures. The next few days sound like they are going to be pretty much a whirlwind but it DOES settle down after a bit. Big hugs to all of you!

Lathan, Lauren, Logan, London said...

Welcome home little ones! I am so happy for you and your family. Wishing you all the best!


ENJOY!!!!!!!

Growing Your Baby said...

Congratulations!!

Our son was born at 24 weeks and like your son he was oscillated for a couple of weeks while his lungs recovered from collapsing.

He is 18 months old now and doing well.

Now that your twins are home you will be able to bond with them on your own schedule.

Enjoy them and all the amazing things they do.

Unknown said...

Hello,
Congratulations on bringing your little miracles home! I found your blog posted on another blog that I have been reading. My twins were born at 26 weeks, but my son's water broke at 20 weeks. As I skimmed through your first few weeks, I was reminded of Taylor's first few. The day mine were born, the doctors told me babies their age in their NICU survived 100%. They expected that of my daughter, but since Taylor had been without amnio fluid for six weeks, his lung development resembled that of a 23-24 weeker. Taylor was on the oscillator at 100% that first night and only sating 50-60%. Taylor survived his first week on a very experimental therapy where the mixed Nitrous oxide with oxygen. Those were some of the scariest times in my life! Please visit my blog to see how big they are now! Congratulations again!