Friday, January 30, 2009

Hypotonic Cerebral Palsy

So it's official. We received Edwin's official diagnosis from the neurologist today. We saw him back in '07, when Edwin was an infant and didn't have many measureable skills and was there dxed with transient dystonia. Now he is two and his low tone has not resolved and it impacts all of his developmental skills.

It was clear the moment the neurologist looked at Edwin that he has cerebral palsy. He was gentle in his explanation, but did straight out explain that CP is due to brain injury that occured at birth or closely thereafter (Edwin, Sr needed to hear this explantion and I was pleased he explained it in simplistic terms, as hurtful as it was to hear.) He doesn't believe it was from his grade I/II brain bleed, but rather hypoxia or low blood pressure or a combination of both either at birth or during his NICU stay. Given the fact that he had extremely low desats and needed to be bagged many times, it is obviously unclear exactly when the injury occured.
He didn't feel an MRI or CT scan would be helpful, as it is clear there is injury present and given his birth history we know why.
He said that complete hypotonic cerebral palsy is generally characterized by *more* developmental delay, which I wasn't aware of. He also said it will make it harder for him to walk given how low the tone in his trunk and legs are. He said he was impressed with how well he uses his hands, but that his hypotonia in his trunk and legs is quite pronounced. He said he can also see a lot of low tone in his face, and of course his mouth, evidenced by his drooling. He also does not believe Edwin will develop hypertonia. Although said it would actually be helpful if he gained tone in his legs to help with walking.
I asked about the possibility of seizures and he said it is possible, although not likely, but that if we see anything concerning that he would order an EEG.
So of course it was a difficult appointment, but one that I was prepared for. Edwin, Sr on the other hand was hit a little harder and was almost teary. Hearing your child has brain injury that will impact them physically and mentally is a huge blow. We mourn for the struggles Edwin has been through and will continue to face, but we are extremely proud and grateful for our amazing son.


We know the future is uncertain...Edwin is still not using verbal language, and seems to lose receptive language skills he once had (Edwin clap your hands, where's your nose, etc. are now ignored or not followed.) The neurologist didn't feel it was appropriate to make much of this, but of course it's something we are keeping our eyes on. Edwin has a lot of therapy and we do all we can to maximize his potential, all while keeping things fun.
I'm trying to stay strong, especially since I knew this was coming, but there was something final and jolting about officially hearing that your child has irreversible brain damage that will impact him forever. I only hope the world will see beyond Edwin's disAbilities, and see him as the amazing boy we love so much.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I have no wonderful things to say, only that I am thinking of you all and will continue to be amazed by young Edwin. I know that you will do everything possible for Edwin.

Hugs!

Joey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

I have no words that will make you feel better either. Just that like Sarah I continue to be amazed by your whole family and I know that Edwin is all the better for it.

Hugs!

Joey said...

I wish I had something magical to say but I don't except I am thinking of you.

Hugs!!!

abby said...

Edwin is such a gorgeous, happy, wonderful little boy and I know that you know this changes none of this. Still, I understand how hard this is to hear. I have nothing to say that will make you feel better, either, but I did want to let you know that I am thinking of you and sending you hugs.

readerof23wkblog said...

Hi Steph:

I am going to write to you more next week ... just catching up with your Jan postings ... while it is difficult to obtain the actual diagnosis, at least having information allows one to move forward in a somewhat different manner in terms of accessing needing services, etc ... I don't pretend to have much knowledge as far as neurology goes, but I do know the brain can be very adaptive ... when certain areas are impacted there is the possibility of other areas taking over certain functions as the child grows and develops ... I guess what I am saying is, even given the news you have received, Edwin might surprise everyone with how much he can accomplish as time goes on ... with dedicated, loving parents, great doctors, teachers and other services combined with research being done in the field of neurology no one can know what Edwin's potential is ... one thing is for sure, Edwin brings great joy to those who know him and will continue to do so ... he is a beautiful boy!
With affection,
Karen N

Mommato4miracles said...

Hey Steph, although this diagnosis is so hard to hear, he is still the same little guy he was yesterday and he feels your love and support constantly around him. He will thrive I know he will because he has parents/family and friends who will make sure that happens. He is blessed to have you as his advocate, his mommy and his own personal cheering squad. He will thrive!!! We are thinking of you!

Jennifer said...

Steph,

I'm so sorry that this hit Edwin Sr. so hard and that you are feeling really down hearing the 'official news'. It does take hearing it from a 'professional' to really cement it and that's a blow that's hard for everyone.

But you are doing all you can to help your kids and are doing such an amazing job - nothing changes that!

Emily said...

Despite knowing and accepting that your child has a particular issue, it's still hard to get the official dx. I have struggled with this same issue a lot. Hearing the doctors say something like that out loud makes it so much more real and permanent. I'm so sorry you guys have to go through this. I know many have already said this and you know it too but he is the same little boy he always has been. CP is not progressive and he's been making so much progress over the last year. Dakota's hypotonia is still very obvious due to her chromosome deletion but the compensation she makes for her low tone is amazing. These little guys are quite determined to defy the odds.

Billie said...

Oh Stephanie. I am so sorry. I know getting the official diagnosis is hard, no matter what the circumstances. His "specifics" sound similar to Holland, but different at the same time. She was initially diagnosed with a mild left hemiplegia, but it was changed to hypotonic CP about a year later. It is truly amazing how different each kid with the CP diagnosis is in terms of their physical development.

Several things are certain though, and those are that Edwin is totally adorable, looks fabulous using his walker, and will only continue to make progress from here!

You are an awesome mom.
Billie

Kellars Mommy said...

So I know that your post wasn't to make me cry but I am sitting here fighting back tears, I like everyone else know that there is nothing that can be said to ease any of your anxieties or worries. Edwin is a amazing little boy and his diagnosis doesn't change the wonderful adorable little boy that he is. Thinking of you!!!