Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Pulmonology and interesting nasal cannula comments from strangers

Hello...
We had a pulmonology appointment today. Weights: Serena 13 lbs 7.8 oz and Champ 14 lbs 4.2 ounces! Serena was 24 3/4 inches long, and Champ was 25 1/2. Serena will begin spending nap time off O2 in a week or 2 after her cold completely clears, and we will call in 2 weeks about a slow wean for Champ, since by then his cold should be all gone as well. He'll be going down by 50ccs every 2 weeks or once a month depending on how he tolerates it. We will also do an EKG at our next appointment, which will be in 2 months.
After pulmonology we went to the NICU for a visit. We were so happy to see everyone, and I think they were pretty happy to see us as well.
Everyone commented on how cute, handsome, and beautiful they are, and also how well they are doing. Of course they were so social and happy, which makes everyone feel so special. Even though things are still so unknown, I know Serena and Edwin are doing so well now, and they are sooooo happy, which makes me the happiest Mom in the world.
What's so special to me is that both know Mommy by sight and voice. They really favor me over other people, and I just love that. I guess not being able to take them home right away, and not knowing if they "bonded" with me the short time they were inside me, I always worried they wouldn't know Mommy. But they most certainly do, and the smiles that come across their face when I smile or hold them melts my heart. There is not better feeling than the love between us (including Daddy, Grammy, and ALL of our family.) I just love Serena and Edwin sooo much; I will never be able to put it in words.
After the NICU we went to the grocery store (p.s. Edwin is in Canada sparring and my Mom has been helping out A LOT like usual, so it was her and I today at the appoint, NICU and store.) So we went to the seafood part and a guy leans over the counter and says "What's in their nose?" My mom quickly responded "Oh it's just oxygen." He then said "That's BAD. I've never seen a baby that has oxygen."
I guess I just never understand why people feel the need to be so blunt about asking about their cannulas. Do you know how many times people have said "What's that?" or, the always appropriate, "What's wrong with them?" I guess I can think of a lot more sensitive things to say, and even though it shouldn't, it kind of makes me mad that people focus in on the cannula right away. I guess I have to remind myself that I am so used to seeing it, but to others it may look alarming. But it really isn't anyone's business, yet everyone seems to ask. I love sharing Edwin and Serena's story with people, but I have to admit I tend to open up more to people who are a little more sensitive about how they ask what the nasal cannula is for. The comment that caught me the most off guard occured in Maine. A man working in Best Buy, and was soo nice and offered to get us a cart, said in the most serious voice, "Oh, so are they alergic to the air?" I almost burst out laughing. Thankfully my sister was there to be explain it was just oxygen to help them breathe.
Please feel free to share your interesting comments related to your child's medical equipment. I'm sure everyone has a few...
As for photos, I am awaiting some pictures from Danille, Sammy's Mommy. Last Sat we went to his 1st B-Day party and had a blast. He is such an adorablelittle boy, and he is a miracle baby as well. I hope Danielle emails me the pics and that you check out Sammy's page as well (on my links.) For now, here are my sweeties sleeping after a busy day.

5 comments:

RANDIB said...

Well, my story just involves the size difference between my twin boys. For those of you who don't know, Tony was born at 3 1/2 lbs (IUGR as result of pre-e) and his bro Nate was 5 1/2 lbs at birth. There is still like 3-4 lbs between them.
Anyway, I was at the pedi's office the other day, and the receptionist leans over, and exclaims, "Oh my gosh, what is the age difference between those two?!!!"
Uh, one minute!
It just makes me crack up sometimes. Especially, when people come over, and say like I don't know, "You know, he's smaller. His brother took up all the food inside you. You should feed this one more....."
To that, I respond, "He eats more than his brother."
And my favorite-
"So was this one created,like three months after this one?"

23wktwinsmommy said...

hahah that's so funny Randi! p.s. why can't I view your blog :(

Kim said...

Oh, it frightens me that there are people out there who believe S&E could be allergic to air!

I have the same problem as Randi. Jackson used to outweigh Ava by at least five pounds and people used to always say, "What's the age difference?" And I used to always answer, "31 minutes," with a perplexed look on my face. It finally occurred to me that these people didn't realize they were twins. Oy.

Emily said...

When we were flying home from Boston after visiting my parents a few weeks ago I told the TSA official that Noah had a cochlear implant (since it sets off the alarm). He said "What is that? A pacemaker for his brain?" He kept insisting that Noah's brain would stop working if he went though the metal detector and when I assured him it was fine he kept saying "Are you sure?". I was afraid to laugh at the time (lest we be detained), but it was too funny!

RANDIB said...

hi!
caps lock on my computer was taken off by nate this morning, so please bear with me. i don't want people to think i don't know how to capitalize!
my husband is super safe about blogging. if people want to see the kids' piccies, they have to register. there should be a little "register" thing on the top of the page.
my husband and i are lazy about the blog and update it bi-monthly. piccies are put up on a regular basis. our website is
www.chrisandrandi.us
most people think it is .com, but it is .us
not to hijack this post, but nate bit me today!!! he left teeth marks and everything. he recently got his two front teeth (guess we know now what he won't be asking santa for at christmas!!!). it really hurt!!!!! he then smiled at me when i jumped back from the shock.