Friday, July 6, 2007

4th of July and our first colds



Hi there...

So, for the past week Serena and Edwin have been battling their very first colds. It has not been as scary an experience as I thought, but it isn't very fun either.

I took them to the pulmonologist last Friday, (this is where I call whenever they have an issue that affects their respiratory status...we have sick visits there as opposed to the pedi for now). They just told me to give them neb treatments 2-3 times a day...morning, afternoon if needed, and night. It seems to be helping.
Serena has a cough where it sounds like "yucky" is caught in her throat and with her paralized vocal cord, I think it makes it tough for her to clear it out. Thankfully, as of today she seems a lot better.
Champ is congested, has green boogies in his nose, and has a pretty nasty cough...that too sounds better today.
Both have required a boost in O2 while asleep...Serena now needs 200ccs while asleep, and 500ccs for Edwin.
Bad news, is we scheduled their bronchoscopies for Monday waaaaay back in the winter, because mid-summer=no sickness right? wrong.
I have been getting varying opinions on whether or not to cancel, and because of the holiday week, the actual ENT Dr will not be in until Monday and their appointment is at 7am, meaning we have to be in Boston at 6am, meaning we have no time to talk to him about it and see what he thinks before making the drive in.
I think I will bring them and see if he wants to go through with it.
The past couple of days Champ has been vomitting...sometimes in his sleep. I think it's post-nasal drip causing him to projectile vomit, and last night he puked up a bunch of mucus after he cleaned out his system of the formula he had eaten. Gross I know. If he continues doing that, I may wait on his but still do Serena's...we'll have to see. I pray they get better so they can get those bronchs done, but whatever is best. It's scary enough to think they will be intubated...uuuggghhh.....

In happier news....the 4th of July was fun. We went to my Mom's house and had a good time. As you can see by the photos, Champ and Beana had so much fun looking at my Moms beautiful flowers. They also played/cried all day, and didn't seem to want to nap, (the one photo I have of them sleeping was the one time they fell alseep, and it wasn't for long.) Thankfully, they slept through the night that night. I guess they were too excited to be at Grammy's and Grandpa's and didn't want to nap through the excitement!

So I will keep you updated about their bronchs. If they do the procedure we will be there overnight, so I may not get to post until Tuesday or Wednesday.

For now, enjoy the cuteness.....











And finally a nice picture of Mommy and Daddy

6 comments:

Mommato4miracles said...

Hi guys,
Just wanted to tell you that our prayers are with you today and always. WE are praying for TWO healthy babies for monday, and for good news/results from the bronchs.

abby said...

We totally know what you guys are going through and I hope they lick the bug SOON. Hallie has had a run of bad colds since mid May and they are nasty; we all get lulled into thinking they'll be okay since it's spring/summer and then we get a cold after not being sick most of the winter! BLAH! Good luck with the scopes on Monday if you do them.

RANDIB said...

Steph-
Nate and Tony are praying for their friends, Serena and Edwin, every night!!!!!!!!
Love,
Randi, Chris, Tony and Nate

tbonegrl said...

sending prayers, and your pics are precious!

Miracles said...

So sorry to hear they are not feeling well. Your right, it is not fun at all. Your not alone in this we are going through the same thing right now as well. Summer colds are the worst!
Good luck with the test, hope all goes well.

Unknown said...

I am so happy to have found your story. My twin boys were born 09/24/06 at 23 weeks and 4 days. I really enjoy reading about your babies, our kids have TONS in common!