Thursday, November 29, 2007

Neurology

Here are some cute pics of the kids from the past week. Grammy took them while I was at work. See how happy they are when she babysits :)
CHEESE!!!



For all the months you crawled over me...NOW it's MY turn!

My handsome guy

I love his half smile!


Look at my boy's progress!!!!!

What a beauty



This picture looks JUST like me when I was her age! (minus the nose...she has Daddy's nose.)

Soooo happy!


Hi all...
Today S&E had their first, and hopefully last, neurology appointment. Things went well. I had heard somethings about the Dr., but I liked him and he was VERY nice to us and very helpful in answering my questions.
So first the numbers:

Edwin: weight 18 pounds 12.8 ounces. Length 29" Head circumference: 17.2"

Serena: weight 17 pounds 8.2 ounces. Length 27.2" HS: 16.5"

The neurologist looked at Edwin first and felt his tone and his reflexes. He was very impressed with Edwin and said he looked good, and better than he had expected. He said Edwin has transient dystonia, basically meaning he has low tone in some areas (trunk) and extensor tone (in his back.) By definition this will resolve and the neuro said that EJ will pull to stand and walk, but will walk late. He checked his reflexes in his feet, ankles, knees, shins, etc and said everything is normal. He said there is no reason for a CP diagnosis at this time and believes it is truly transient dystonia. He said continue with PT and we're all set. He said his nystagmus was nothing to be concerned about and is sensory in nature and not worrisome. He said we would only need to come back if God forbid they begin having seizures or anything neurological.
Serena was fine of course, we didn't have questions about her tone, but rather her head circumference. The neuro said he'd like to see both kids have larger head circumferences but said it wasn't the end of the world and there was no reason for an MRI for either child.
So all in all it was a good visit. Thank goodness because I had a terrible day at work on Wednesday and I was worried the visit would set me over the edge. Thankfully everything went well.

5 comments:

Miracles said...

Sounds like an great appt. The kiddos are looking as cute as ever!

Jennifer said...

Its wonderful to have good appiontments, huh?

Congrats - here's to a restful weekend!

Kellars Mommy said...

Oh how nice it is to leave the dr's office, especially a pedi neuro and be able to still smile...Congrats on a very positive appointment..Love all the smiles, such cutie pies...

Sarah Furlough said...

What great news! I always love the feeling you have when you leave an appointment like that.

The kids just keep getting cuter and cuter!

Shannon said...

I am glad that all went well. As for the transient dystonia I know we were told Ashton had this in Jan'06....now it is just dytonic CP. However I knew back then that it wasn't something that was going to go away....EJ looks great!