Sunday, November 11, 2007

Serena and Edwin,Jr. Everywhere!!!!

Thanks all for your input and support on my last post.


This is not an attempt to be creative or artistic, rather, this is what happens when your kids don't want to sit still for a picture.
Aren't they gorgeous???






















Exciting news:
Serena is making a "fa" sound after all. She did it a bunch of times today and it was so cute. A month ago I used to think she babbled, but before it was more exploring her voice. She is now using her mouth in more effective ways to truly babble and explore specific sounds. I'm very impressed with her progress even before ST has begun. I can only hope for even more progress then, and a better understanding if anything will need to be done after her bronchoscopy in January. She still needs O2 when in a deep sleep so in that sense I don't think her airway has drastically changed since July. I think her vocal cord is more affected than other kiddos with a paralyzed vocal cords because her voice is so raspy. However, when she whispers it sounds a lot different. It'll be interesting to talk with the ENT in more detail to understand this paralyzed vocal cord phenomenon that affects some preemies who've had their PDA ligated.

4 comments:

Kellars Mommy said...

I have heard of some preemies who had their pda closed ending up w/a paralyzed vocal chord..Kellar had his closed but fortunately he doesn't appear to have suffered any damage from it..

Emily said...

Dakota has had a paralyzed vocal cord all of her life. We assume it was from the PDA but it could have just as easily been from intubation. Our ENT told us that if by 9mos of age it hadn't regained movement it was most likely permanently paralyzed. This has been the case for us. She was scoped again at 13mos and showed no movement of her left vocal cord. For her it's paralyzed halfway open.

She has started to compensate for the paralyzed cord though. When she tries she can make louder noises. Her cry is still very quiet and raspy and her laugh is silent. I don't notice the difference between her and her peers as much as others do. I'm used to it I guess. I have heard a little girl who was 3yrs old and had a paralyzed vocal cord. Other than not being able to yell very loud it wasn't terribly noticeable.

Jennifer said...

They're too cute, love the pictures!

Think its bad now trying to get them to sit still for pictures? Wait until they start walking!

I got so excited about my new camera that I've been haunting Ari - literally walking around the house after her - only to get ONE non blurry picture and she'll have her eyes closed!

Nathali said...

They are soooo adorable!! And it is so funny how they look like both you and Edwin. You can't really pin point who they look like more....