Wednesday, January 30, 2008

One year and one day home

I can't believe I didn't mention yesterday marked one year of having S&E home. Well, maybe I do know why.
Things are going so well with my sweeties, and life seems so "normal" with them, their traumatic birth is not always at the forefront of my mind anymore. Serena's development is taking off like a jet plane. She is copying EVEYTHING we say and do, including this week after us repeating it a couple of times "ma ma" (easy one)"pa pa" "pow pow" "ga ga" "bye bye", blowing a kiss, and clapping like crazy. She is standing for long periods of time unassisted. Today she stood all by herself in the middle of the floor while clapping and bouncing up and down dancing. She is truly a little toddler.
My little guy is soooo attached to Mommy. He is now going through seperation anxiety BIG time, and I can't leave the room without his SCREAMING hysterically. He wants me to hold him all the time and cries when other people try to...so unlike him. It's like Edwin is doing the things Serena did, only 3-5 months later. He is my sweetie, and I can't lie, it feels so good to be the only one he wants :) Edwin's off O2 1 hour twice a day, and he does so well I usually keep him off a little longer....sats are 98 without O2 consistently. He is pulling to stand on EVERYTHING with little effort, and is on his hands and knees a lot, although he still prefers to belly crawl...I'm sure because it's easier and less work for his abs...which is what he NEEDS to be working. We try sitting, but that's getting tough b/c he can get out of sitting so easily.

So we've just been living life like it's typical. Of course it's not because we have O2, monitors, and thearpy, but I really feel like I'm moving forward from the rough first 4 months of their lives. While it will never escape me or them completely, I feel excited about life and our future, and am so pleased with all of the progress they continue to make.

One thing that made me feel good about the future was my day at work.
Today at work I spent a lot of one on one time with a very special young man. I've known him for the past 2 years, but today I felt a deep respect and connection to him. He is 26 years old and was born with a genetic disorder which is the cause of his distinct physical characteristics and significant cognitive impairment. After years in the public school system, which clearly did NOTHING for him, he is now in an adult program which is teaching him to add and subtract and to read simple sentences. He sat with me and read to me today, and I was so moved. As he read "The woman is in the tent" I felt an overwhelming sense of joy for him. He was so proud of himself and was working so hard. He is often teased for his appearance and his cognitive impairment, which infuriates me when I hear about it. He is such an amazing person, and I know I would never have appreciated all he can do if I didn't know about the future S&E could face. Once people open up their minds and hearts, they too can see how amazing he is.
As I worked with him on his subtraction and held up my fingers so he could count them, I imagined helping Serena and Edwin with their homework. I know with the help and guidance of our family Serena and Edwin are going to have amazing lives. I know that there is a place for them, and I know that no developmental chart or IQ test will define them.
What I know for certain is it is a blessing that I get to teach my children things, and my respect and appreciation for life has grown leaps and bounds because of my beautiful children. It's amazing how beings so small have taught me so much.
So one year later I thank you Serena and Edwin, for teaching Mommy so much about life and what truly matters. Thank you for making me smile every day and making me so proud. Thank you for showing me you know how much I love you and for ALWAYS showing me how much I mean to you.
"I love you and I love you..."

3 comments:

Kellars Mommy said...

Sweet and touching post..Just tonight I sat here praying that God was not done working on Kellar, that he would not struggle in school, that when he turns 2 and if he's not caught up that I'll be able to deal with it..It's hard thinking about the future, no actually it's more than hard it's heartbreaking..If people weren't so mean, if they would just get to know the person..I could go on and on..Sounds like Serena is taking off!!! Great job pulling to standing Edwin Jr...

Lathan, Lauren, Logan, London said...

Happy Homecoming Anniversary to some truly beautiful twins!

Randi said...

Very sweet and beautiful post. Isn't it amazing what children teach us about life?