Tuesday, January 8, 2008

ooohh Serena Bean...

Hi all. I am going to get to the whole private thing, but I'm waiting until the weekend when I have more time.
As for the past 2 days...they haven't been too fun.
Serena's bronchoscopy did not go as I'd hoped.
We got there at 6 am and she had been NPO since 10pm the previous night. There were 2 emergencies so she didn't get in and put under until 9:30. She dealt with it well, I just felt bad that she was probably hungry.
I waited the first hour and was surprised when no one called the room to tell me to go see her in post-op. I waited another hour figuring I shouldn't be too pesky. I then realized I didn't care if I was pesky, it had been 2 hours and I wanted to know if she was okay. Come to find out post-op had called up to pediatrics, but the secretary didn't bother to call my room to tell me she was done. I didn't find this out until I got downstairs. But before I could even do that, I walked all the way down to the elevators only to find one was stuck and not working which caused the other elevators not to open. So I walked back and they told me to go back again and someone from security would manually bring the elevator up to get me. ugh.
I get downstairs and a nurse is holding my sleeping baby. That should have been me for the past 40 minutes! I was livid. So when I get there they tell me she will be going straight to the PICU at Mass General and stay the night?!?
What happened? Apparently she had an "episode" during the bronch while intubated. It was described as an asthma attack or bronchospasm. They had to give her magnesium and a breathing treatment while intubated. The attending residents who came to check on her later in the night said "You really gave us a scare down there Serena. You know it's bad when the pulmonologist is grabbing through his bag of tricks looking for things we've never even thought of..." That was hard to hear. Anyway, they had thought she needed the PICU, but when I was there she was nice and pink, alseep, and was satting decent at 4 liters of O2 via blowby. When the team came over to see her, they were surprised at how good she looked...all pink and satting well, and listened to her and she wasn't wheezing. They said in the surgery she was so tight and clamped down...like a true asthma attack. So they allowed us to stay overnight in the step down unit at MEEI, and we did not have to go to the PICU.
The findings of the bronch were that she has severe tracheomalacia and severe right bronchiomalacia. The ENT said her narrowing was better, and not concerning. There is basically no treatment for her tracheomalacia and bronchiomalacia expect time and growth. They did not mention the need for a trach but where very concerned she has asthma, although it is not diagnosed in children as young as her. She obviously has reactive airway disease and this is why when she gets an upper respiratory infection she has such difficulty with wheezing and keeping her saturations up.
The good news she is not normally a wheezy kid. She doesn't have difficulty unless she is sick. Even at baseline however, she still needs a very small amount of O2 while asleep because she does drop her sats into the 80s even when not sick without O2 while asleep. One Dr. at MEEI thought she might be silently refluxing. I think it is due more to her floppy airway, but we will start her on Prevacid and go back in 2 weeks to get the results from the pH probe. EJ will be seen at this time as well to start him on Prevacid since he clearly refluxes.
So we spent the night and she did ok, but was affected by the anesthesia and had one sleeping episode where her sats would not come up. At 3/4 of a liter and 2 liters, her sats were exactly the same. The nurse didn't know what to do (why did we have to spend the night?) so she asked me to wake her up. Her sats were better, and she slept through the night on 1.5 liters and did well.
They scoped her today while awake to look at her vocal cord, and there does appear to be some movement, whereas back when we first saw the ENT last year there was no movement. He said we will do another barrium swallow, check to see if she is still aspirating, and if need be he would talk about the possibility of doing something. If not, he doesn't treat paralyzed vocal cords until the child is older.
After this, we were able to come home, and her O2 needs are back down. She is on 1/2 liter now while asleep, which is good considering everything she's been through in the past 48 hours.
The ENT recommended doing a sleep study, but after I spoke to our pulmonologist we both came to the same conclusion. There is obstruction (probably from the complex airway issues) and she needs a small amount of O2 while asleep. When she's sick that need goes up, so there is nothing we can really gain from a sleep study.
I am praying that with time her floppy airway will improve and she will not develop severe asthma. This is a hope, but probably not going to be our reality. Unfortunately, I think that she will have breathing issues that will be significant and I've prepared myself for many winter months of isolation. Thankfully no one around us smokes, and there are not pets at our home or our parent's homes. We will try and reduce the triggers, and hopefully never have to experience the scary episode she had in surgery yesterday.
Thankfully my baby girl is doing fine now. She is sleeping peacefully and was very playful and happy to see her brother earlier.

In very exciting Edwin news, he is drastically improving gross motor wise. He is getting on his hands and knees more and more, keeping his hands open while belly crawling, and really showed off for PT today. He is even beginning to pull to stand! I put him in his crib last week to make a phone call and when I walked in to check on him he was standing up in his crib! Now mind you it was on the infant level since my guy is not even correctly crawling, I thought pulling to stand was a long way off. Of course I freaked when I saw him standing there because technically if he wasn't holding on so tight he could have fallen forward out of it! Needless to say it is now down a level, and he is still working on the pulling to stand in the crib, and today pulled up on his little Sesame Street play toy that have been in many of our pictures. He doesn't do it completely typical since he gets to up on his knees, reaches up with his hand, pulls his other hand up, and then with his upper body strength pulls his bottom half up. He doesn't do one leg at a time like most children, but he'll get to it. He is so proud of himself when he does it, and although he is wobbily on his feet and needs to get more abdominal strength, he is really doing wonderfully.
I almost caught it on video but the Dr called and I missed it. I'll get that on camera soon. I am very pleased with how far he's come, and although there is still more work to be done, I am a lot more calm about his development. I feel like everyone's efforts are paying off and he is really thriving in this area.
Serena is really getting to be a smarty pants. She is working on stacking very small blocks, is waving "bye bye", and is mimicking play. She is curious, bold, and even a little bratty sometimes. :) She is really a handful, and for that I am so grateful!

So now that I gave an update I need to sleep. That bed/chair I had to sleep on last night was painful and I can't wait to have a good nights rest in my own house with my two Edwins and my Serena.
I'll be sending out the email invites soon!

5 comments:

Kellars Mommy said...

What a scare!!! My cousin's little boy has trachiomalasia..Edwin is doing awesome, way to go!!!

Sarah Furlough said...

OMG, so glad that Serena is alright. What a huge scare that must have been! Sorry that you had to spend the night in the hospital, but I guess it was better to play it safe.

WTG Edwin on the crawling, I knew you'd be mobile in no time! Thank goodness you lowered the crib- I'm always scared about that!

abby said...

What an awful experience. We're really glad that Serena is OK, but I wish you hadn't been through the bronchospasm thing.

On the other hand, we're thrilled to hear about Edwin and his crawling. You guys have your hands full now...which is totally excellent.

Lori said...

What a scare! I hate it when hospitals screw something up like a nurse holding Serena for 40 minutes. When Aidan had his tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy in May, I kept going back up to the surgery center desk asking about him...sure he had to be out of surgery by then.

At one point a nurse took us back to a recovery area to wait for the doctor to come tell us how the surgery had gone. We waited and waited. I became certain the surgery had to be over by then. And at 18 months old, I was adamant that one of us be there when Aidan awoke. He would be scared, in a strange place, and probably in some pain.

Finally my husband went to the desk and asked to be told what room Aidan was staying in overnight (so they could watch him since they usually don't do T&A surgeries that young). My DH went down there while I waited for the doctor. 15 more minutes passed and I became fed up. I told the desk nurse I was going to go to my son's room and the doctor could come and find us.

I came into my son's room to see my DH lovingly rocking and comforting him. DH told me the nurse said Aidan had been awake for over a half hour when he got there and they had been "looking for us."

Are you f*&^ing kidding me???? You let my 18 month old cry and wonder where Mommy and Daddy were? I was furious!!!

I am so glad Serena is alright. Keep us in the loop on what comes of this. Aidan has RAD, but it is getting SOOO much better. We have him on 2 puffs of Flovent twice a day to keep his lungs less likely to react. We have not had to nebulize him (rescue treatment) in over 6 months even with colds. It does get better. And even if it is asthma...there are definitely worse things.

Hugs Stephanie! And get some sleep!

Lori

Sarah said...

Ah, I'm so glad everything is all right. With preemies, nothing really is ever standard is it?

WTG Edwin! Now, take your naps when you can get them. Two mobile babies... jeesh. :)