Thursday, August 2, 2007

Ophthamology and NICU follow-up

Hello everyone.
It's been a little while since my last update. We have been busy with appointments and just having fun this summer.
S & E went swimming for the first time. Serena absolutely loved it and smiled away as I held her in the "big people's pool." Edwin was a little more unsure and the temp seemed to bother him more (his little lip would quiver whenever I put him in past his thighs.) When Daddy held him in the pool he cried, but felt better if Mumma was holding him. It was so fun to bring them in the pool, so fun in fact no one thought to grab the camera :(
Last week we saw the eye Dr for a routine check up. Since both S & E had ROP and had laser surgery to prevent the retina from detatching, we have to follow up frequently.
Serena is far sighted, which apparently is normal in babies and children, only her vision is even more far sighted than normal. Say normal is 1 Serena is 4. Something like that. We have to watch for her eyes crossing, which I have never seen her do, and we follow up in 6 months to see where she is at. She may need glasses, especially if her eyes begin to cross.
Edwin is not far sighted, he is in normal range, although I noticed that sometimes his eyes tend to go back and forth in a horizontal fashion rather quickly. It kind of freaked me out because I knew it was something neurological. He doesn't do it often, but a couple of times a week max. The ophthamologist did not see him do it on the visit, which he said was reassuring. He said it is neurological and is probably related to his neurological immaturity as a result of his prematurity. He is going to talk to a pedi neurologist, and although no one will push for an MRI because of his chronic lung disease (anethesia is nothing nice as we saw when he required the liter of O2 for a week following his bronch), the pedi neuro will still be contacted. The eye Dr said he has seen this before, and it usually goes away on its own. He is reassured by the fact Champ isn't doing it constantly (which he has seen in preemies), but of course it is a concern. I haven't noticed him do it lately and I am hoping it goes away all together. We follow up with Champ on this issue in 3 months.
And this week we had NICU follow up. They are 6 months adjusted age, and we finally had our first assessment. The team was amazed, which to be honest, kind of surprised me. I think they are doing really well, don't get me wrong, but I can see the difference in Champ's strength, and I just thought they would be concerned. Well they weren't at all. They said he can do the things he should be doing, only he is weaker and they are attributing it to his degree of respiratory disease. They were extremely impressed with Champ's social/verbal, and confirmed that he is saying "hi." He is able to mimic many sounds, and the word "hi." He laughs constantly, especially if you laugh at him first, and he has a great disposition. Serena also charmed the pants of the male Dr. with her huge smiles. She did so well with her gross and fine motor skills. She turns from back to belly with ease, and is almost sitting unassisted. You can tell she wants to crawl, but is not too sure how to yet.
Their #s were: Beana 14 pounds 2 ounces, 25 inches long, head cir. 40.
Champ 14 lbs 11 oz, 26 1/2 inches long head cir. 42.
They looked and felt their muscles, and observed their movement. They noted their reciprical movements in kicking and with their arms, and went as far as to say they didn't see any signs of CP. They said any overt sighs would be seen at this time if it was to be severe, such as muscle contractions or very limp low tone. They said they have seen children at their age present with signs of CP even at 6 months adjusted. They tried to reassure me, but I have been preparing myself for this with both children because of their extreme prematurity and brain bleeds. All of their desats, steroids, and everything involved in being 23 weekers really made me convinced we were going to be faced with some significant disabilities, which of course I wished they wouldn't have, but I semi-prepared myself for. To hear them be so optimistic and impressed kind of worried me. I am afraid to get my hopes up, afraid to take a sigh of relief. So I'm not going to yet. I am taking their assessment as an accomplishment at this time, and I am going to continue to developmentally play with them and continue to be amazed at how much they learn every day. I am happy there are no red flags at this time, but I don't think I will feel relieved until they start walking, talking, etc. But I was very proud of them and very happy there were no any overt signs of anything concerning. We will return in 6 months to have another assessment. I invited our EI worker so she could be involved in the assessment and be a part of their discussion and evaluation. I want everyone to be a team in order to best support both babies in their development. I am happy she was able to attend. I don't have a Bayley score for either child because they have a new scoring system and it was taking a long time for the team to figure it out. A report will be sent to EI and our pedi so I will request to see it when it's complete. Their conclusion to us was they were the best 23 week twins they had seen, and that they were doing amazing. I am very proud of how hard they work. They love to do tummy time, and never get upset about it unless they are way over tired. They try so hard to accomplish things like grabbing toys, that now it comes so easily. I see so much determination in them, it really makes me convinced that they will do the very best they are able to do, which is really what is most important to me.
Unfortunately I do not have any pictures to share. We have been outside and out and about so much that I haven't even taken any this week. I will make a conscious effort to add some this weekend.
I hope everyone is doing well...I have to catch up on my blog reading!!!!

1 comment:

3 good eggs said...

It sounds like they are doing really well. I am so glad to hear that. I know I commented on an eariler post but I wanted to give you some high fives!!
I hope the Neo team gave you a lot of them or in their weird doctor way at least praised you for doing such a great job with your babies. I know its a team effort with your partner but you know what i mean. Mom is always the one to keep on the babies and get them to where they need to be.

My boys are 16 months but 13 adjusted. One is walking, another is getting ready to walk, and the one who we thought would never want to do anything but lay on his back and watch life go by surprised his PT today and stood in the middle of the room for more than 30 seconds unassisted and then turned around and smiled at her.
Dont worry about what will happen just keep doing what you are doing and keep Serena and Edwin learning!! Thats what I did and my boys are blossoming. My dudes had a very rough road and its amazing that they made it. Even more amazing that DH and I are still somewhat sane. :)
Keep up the good work!!
Christine