Saturday, March 17, 2007

!

Champ and Bean aren't cooperating, but Mommy and Daddy look semi normal for once, so I had to post this one!

Hello all.
All is well with us...even though we got a snow storm yesterday and it makes it seem like the end of RSV season and the beginning of warm weather will NEVER come! I am so anxious to get the twins out and about! I have cabin fever, and I would definitely clssify myself as a homebody, so you know it's bad.
We took the twins to visit the NICU on Wednesday because it was so warm...close to 60...figures New England weather, 2 days later we have a snow storm...::sigh::. Anyway, we LOVED seeing the nurses and Drs. We saw one of our favorite nurses, Edwin's primary, we missed out on Serena's primary, but we hope to see her soon! We also saw the Dr who was in charge the month the twins were born. He gave us our NICU consult prior to delievery, and he was the one who told me Champ had hope when we had our first family meeting. When others doubted his chances of survival, this Dr restored hope. We are so thankful for him, and especially for our nurses, they were Serena and Edwin's greatest advocates (other than us of course! :) )
Well I mentioned last post that I was happy the twins made a smooth transition to straight formula. I spoke too soon. All week the little ones have been struggling in the poop department. My kiddos used to have BMs like no problem...like 3 a day on average. Breast milk sure is best. Anyway, now it's a struggle and the look on their little faces when they were trying to go breaks my heart. Guilt poured in and I wish I had continued pumping...how practical it would have been is beyond me, but I still feel bad about it. I called the pedi like I said last time to ask about the iron suppliments, and she said continue them (this was Mon when the lack of pooping was not apparent yet.) Well I called back yesterday and asked if we should DC the iron, or give them diluted apple juice. We are keeping the iron and giving the babies 1 ounce of diluted prune juice morning and night. GROSS...they like it though. Serena kinda makes a face like what the heck is this? But sucks it down. Edwin loves it and seems to not know it's not milk. Well the formula smells gross and so does prune juice, so maybe he just likes smelly things? We just started this yesterday afternoon, and although they went, (they never went 24 hours without going anyway, but definitely slowed down and it was more of a struggle for them to go), it didn't come aflowin' like I thought it would (sorry too many details.) Hopefully things improve but I don't know how long we should continue to do the prune juice. I wonder if eventually they will get used to the formula and it will become easier? I wish mommy's bodies just made milk that came out when needed without a silly machine. Oh well.
In other news, I can't recall if I mentioned they are filming a documentary about amateur boxing and have already come to tape Edwin and I with Beanie and Champ? Well, they did and it was pretty cool. They just called and want to come back. They think our story is inspiring, which I would have to agree with. I guess the film maker is intrigued by our family dynamic, and since Edwin has managaed to become the star of the documentary, his family life has become a big part of the film...pretty cool. So I started thinking about our family dynamic and it is pretty interesting...he said we should have our own show...haha o man what they'd capture.
You already know a little about us, but I'll share more. Plus Beanie and Champ will read this one day and I want to see if Mommy and Daddy have changed a whole lot.
I think a big part of who we are has to do with Edwin and I being polar opposites...and I mean that. Sorry Edwin but here we go....I am the planner, I am the one who worries about everything, I remember almost everything, I want things done and done right, I'm in charge of the bills, etc etc.
Edwin is carefree, forgets A LOT, waits until the last minute for everything, and has to be reminded to do nearly everything. But these things make him who he is. I do believe he will change some as he grows older (he'll only be 22 in May) and dealing with all we've been through with having 2 children at 23 weeks, I think he is amazing. Serena and Edwin were an unplanned blessing. With my first year of law school about to begin and the 2008 Olympic qualifing year approaching, we were not planning to get pregnant. A one time event changed everything, and for that we are both eternally greatful. Having Bean and Champ born so premature was also not expected...like I've said so many times, to this day we have NO IDEA why I went into preterm labor. Edwin could have walked away, a very nice younger mom in the NICU with a 25 weeker had that happen to her. The father was there through the pregnancy, but when he saw how sick his son was, he just walked away. I don't think they lived together anyway, but no visits, no phonecalls, NOTHING!
Being a young parent isn't easy,especially not with twins, watching your dreams of the Olympic gold possibly being swept away because you miss tournaments due to your children being critically ill is tough, realizing that you'll probably lose your academic scholarship because you can't go to law school anytime soon is difficult, trying to work, work out, wake up, and do it over and over again is a challege, but in spite of it all here we are. Standing side by side, by Serena and Edwin's side, and although it's not always peachy keen, we do it, and we do it well. I'm not one to give too much credit for people doing things they should anyway (I never got money for getting As in school like my peers, I got in trouble if I didn't get As). We are parents and we BOTH need to scarifice for our children. I don't go on and on about Edwin NOT walking away, because he shouldn't. He doesn't get too much credit for doing what a father is obligated to do; however, I acknowledge how difficult it is, and how much he has given up for Serena and Edwin, and I do admire him for that. At only 21 I think he has really shown maturity and unselfish love beyond his years. And even though he plays a lot of video games in his spare time, and has to be reminded to take out the trash EVERY week, he is a loving and dedicated father, and a supportive mate. I can't wait to plan our wedding (we'll have it after the twins are off O2 so they can be a real part of the ceremony).


This blog kind of went off on a tangent, but I want Edwin to know how important he is to us, and I want the twins to know what a good Daddy he was from day 1.
In twin medical news, Serena is doing perfectly at 250 O2 and Edwin was weaned to 450 today and is satting 97-100! =Slow and steady wins the race so here we go kids. Down by another 50 in 2 weeks, just keep those sats above 93 and down we go!
And in happy news smiles have been repeated, and repeated more frequently! Serena especially when she is on her changing table and mommy talks and smiles at her! The most important thing to me is that my two are happy, so smiles mean so much!!!! I captured Beanie smiling in her dreams in one of the pics...I'll try to get a real live one from each soon!

Champ's tape for his nasal cannual looks all a mess, but I hate peeling it off just because it looks bad. This morning he had a little red rash where his tape was on his left cheek, so I didn't want to peel the other side off just to put a new peice on in case he is now sensitive to it. Hopefully with lotion it will clear.

Good boy satting 100%!


**Daddy made me delete the pic of him feeding Beanie..."too much leg Steph!"** Sorry!

Beanie is having a good dream!


Munchkins


p.s. I just looked at the pictures up close...that's leftover prune juice on Beanie's face...it's working...she just let me know that through the gift of smell!

2 comments:

Miracles said...

What a great family picture!

You both are doing a great job with the twins. I know how much work it is with two. I also know how much sleep your going on daily..next to none!

When I gave up breastfeeding my girl's had the same problem as Serena & Edwin. I would give them a bottle with some warm water and 1/2 tsp of sugar. It didn't help right away, I expected what you did, instant relief for them. If I remember correctly, I think it took a day or so. Their little bellies will adjust. I too felt the guilt of stopping breastfeeding. But it is really hard with two. No matter what anyone says. Possible but hard.

Serena & Edwin are beautiful. They are getting sweeter by the day!

abby said...

Hi Everyone!! The kids look great and your story is definitely inspiring. I know how hard it is, and we're a whole lot older (not necessarily more mature, though) than you guys. It's just really tough to deal with all the stuff we've been dealt, but you guys are doing great.

In terms of pooping, try adding a bit of dark karo syrup to the kiddo's bottles. That should work if the prune juice isn't strong enough to help get the poop out of them. Are they on neosure? That stuff smells horrible--our favorite nurse says it smells like a barnyard and it really binds them. Or it some other formula? Let me know---we've got some extras of neosure and a few other kinds of formula and I'd be happy to mail you all a care package for the kids. We tried Hallie on neosure, nutramigen, and a couple of other things and she loathed all of it. Anyway, drop me an email (abbyschrad@earthlink.net) if you're interested.