Friday, March 30, 2007

Projectile Vomit...or lack there of

Okay so I am totally worried about jinxing myself BUT tomorrow will mark one full week of NO projectile vomitting from Champ!!! Was it a change in meds? A stronger dose? NOPE. I stopped the Zantac a week and a half ago because I wasn't convinced it was helping. He continued to vomit a few days after the Zantac was DCed, until last Sat. We made it 24 hours, no puke, now it's been almost 7 days! Not even 1 episode. I am not sure why exactly. Other than no more Zantac, the most major change has been the actual feeding process. I give Champ a LONG time to eat. I give him 1 1/2-2 ounces at a time, with many chances to burp in between. I then hold him upright for 5-10 minutes and feed him another 2 ounces. Repeat until he is full, and hold for as long as possible after the feed is completely finished. I used to do the same thing minus the 5-10 minute break after 1-2 ounces. I have given him Zantac 3 times since Sat because he kind of screamed a couple of times after eating and I was worried about the acidity causing him pain. But that has happened in about 5 days. I know I could continue the Zantac to guard against painful reflux, but I'm just not convinved it's doing any good, and, although I'm not sure if it's correlated, he hasn't vomitted since the frequency of giving him Zantac was GREATLY reduced.
I hope it lasts, but even if it doesn't, we had 6 days vomit-free!
I'll keep you updated!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Yay this is such good news!!! Zantac is only an H2 blocker though, therefore isn't usually used for reflux. Again, docs do things different. Normally to control reflux they need to be on a PPI such as prevacid. Zantac on its own will definitely not help kids that have severe reflux.

I hope things keep looking up on the vomiting issues!!!

Lisa said...

No vomit for six days sounds like a dream! I'm beginning to think that I will never be able to wear good clothes again!

My W is also taking Zantac for his reflux. He was taking Prevacid but we had to add Zantac since Prevacid by itself wasn't good enough... I'm wondering if the Zantac is causing him to vomit? I'm too scared to try to take him off of it, though. TOO much screaming!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Champ keeps his meals in from now on!

Emily said...

Wow! We are on Prevacid and Zantac, and we thought we were doing pretty good with only 1 or 2 projectiles a day (as opposed to 1 or 2 a feed like when he was little). You have my envy!