Friday, March 23, 2007

Therapy

Hello all.
I have a question about therapy...no no no not for me, although I could probably use it living with Edwin Sr. Just kidding hunnie...haha.
I just wanted to know what type of, and how often, your preemies had therapy at 2 months adjusted age. Serena and Edwin's original due date was 1/21/07 so they are about 2 months. EI comes bi-weekly, but no OT or PT. She basically talks to me about what they're doing and this past week she showed me some stretches and some more tummy time positions. I just want to make sure we are not missing out on some therapy you found to be helpful, and if the frequency is approprite. I planned on having services weekly, but she seems to think the focus should be on them satting well and gaining weight; which of course I agree with, but I want to insure that we aren't missng out on something that will be helpful to Bean and Champ. What was your therapy experience like? Thanks guys!

2 comments:

abby said...

We had an Special Instructor come to the house from after Hallie had been home a couple of weeks (we got lucky). At first, Crystal couldn't do all that much with Hallie. After about a month, we were up to doing stretches, some tummy time, working with random and predictable patterns. This was around mid November. This was also when Hallie's eating got really bad and so we asked for a reevaluation and ended up adding OT (this happened around the beginning of the year, give or take a couple of weeks). Amy, our OT, does more stretching, working with the ball, forcing Hallie to break down movements, etc. We'll be reevaluated in April and we'll see where we are -- I think that it's typical at first to get reevaluated every three months. But either way, if you feel like the kids need something, push for it. You are their best advocate and given their gestational age, oxygen status, etc, I am sure that it will be possible to access services that they need.

Emily said...

We have SLT weekly, OT bi-weekly and DS bi-weekly. We basically do as much as Dakota can handle. They're wanting to increase her OT to weekly but right now I think that's more than she can take.

I know some micro-preemies who don't get services at all because everything is going fine. EI follows them but that's it.