Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Handicap parking...a reality check

Hello all...

I had intended to write a post yesterday and put up pics, but we just got too busy. I will write more tonight or tomorrow, and include pics, but I wanted to write a brief post about handicap parking.

Serena and Edwin have handicap parking passes due to them being on oxygen and monitors. The medical center where most all of their appointments are has free valet parking for handicap patients. We are able to drive up close to the building and have our car parked and when we leave we can wait in the warm hospital until our car is pulled around. With the number of appointments they have it sure makes life easier. I guess since we are on house arrest by order of RSV, I never really took into account the reality of life dependent on handicap parking. When we go to other appointments (pedi and opthamologist) the handicap parking space is usually empty, but either way the parking lot is so small it wouldn't be a far walk if it was taken.

Well yesterday I called to pre-register Serena for her ENT appointment in Boston. I wanted to find out about parking, since we are so used to just valeting. The security guard told me valet parking was not free for handicap patients, but that there are handicap parking spaces available in front. I said okay. That was no problem, I didn't even consider what he went on to say: "so if there is an empty one you park there for free, if not, you'll have to pay to valet park."
Now I don't mind paying the few bucks to valet, but I began thinking....People who rely on handicap parking have to "hope" that there is a spot available. They are dependent on the fact that all the spaces aren't taken, and more importantly, if they are taken, that they are filled with people who really need them...and in the case of places like a hospital, the other parking spaces are so far away, that if there are not any handicap spaces, you have to pay out of pocket in order to physically be able to enter the facility. What kind of sense does that make?
All I know is that if I go anywhere from now on and I see people without handicap placards in handicap parking, I am going to make it my mission to tell someone in charge and make sure they are ticketed. So watch out....(as if any of MY readers would do that!)

No comments: