Saturday, April 14, 2007

Update on Champ's vomitting and Mommy is going to be a lawyer


In response to Lisa's comment, I wanted to give everyone an update on Champ's projectile vomitting.
I am happy to report Edwin has not vomitted for me in over 3 weeks! He has not done it once for me since I last posted on it. I feed him 90% of the time, so that's great. He also hasn't puked for Daddy who feeds him the other 5-10% of the time, but he has puked 2 or 3 times for 2 of the 3 of our nurses who come to help out. Once, one accidentally put him down too soon after he ate, and the other times I am not too sure what happened because I didn't witness it, but it is a HUGE improvement, with only a couple of episodes since I last reported and neither was when their dad or I fed him! He sometimes takes 8+ ounces over a period of 1 1/2-2 hours and is successful in keeping it all down! We are so excited to see how much both he and Serena weigh next Friday! I have not given him a single dose of Zantac since my last post. We may be headed to the Prevacid route since he is still refluxing and we want to protect his airway. We will investigate that option for both he and Serena after their barrium swallows. We are just so happy the projectile vomitting has almost completely stopped. Now if he'll only behave for the nurses the times they feed him! I told them he probably does it so in their notes they write it and we won't lose nursing hours next evaluation. He's so smart! :) but seriously Champ you're still on O2 your nurses will still come visit you...stop the puking!



“Make crime pay. Become a Lawyer.” -Will Rogers
In OTHER news...I'm going to law school this fall. I am so excited. I probably mentioned this before, but I was accepted to law school for the fall of 2006, however we found out we were pregnant in May '06, and so I asked to defer...you can only defer for one year. Never did I expect to deliver early and have 2 on O2 and be required to be secluded from most other people during RSV season and even be selective all year round. So child care became a big concern, and I figured I just wouldn't be able to go to school...meaning I would lose my acceptance and have to reapply all over again, and if I didn't do so within 5 years, I would have to take the LSAT all over again...think SATs but 1 million times harder! I was so bummed when I thought about how much I'd put into the application process and how I would never want to take that damn test again!
Well after a lot of thought and support from my mom and dad, and kinda from Edwin (he's still a little worried how it will all turn out), I decided I am going part time. I will travel the hour+ drive 3 nights a week, leaving around 4 and coming home around 10:30-11. It's going to be a challenge, but most things worth anything in life are. I had originally been granted an academic scholarship, but unfortunately I am pretty sure I lost that when I didn't go this past fall, and because I am switching from a full time program to the part time one. But I have a call into the Dean and we will see how that goes. Perhaps when I reapply for financial aid with 2 dependents things will work out for me. Either way, it is way worth the investment and the student loans. This has been my passion for a long time, and I worked damn hard to be accepted. I am totally excited and nervous at the same time. I worried about being over an hour drive away from Serena and Edwin and about trying to study and care for them during the day. I am worried about making enough money to pay our bills since we still don't know if Edwin will make it to the Olympics and even if he doesn't make it, he will go pro, and still needs to try to balance caring for the twins, working a conventional job and training and making weight. I will still work part time and we will figure that out when we know what is going on with Edwin and the Olympics, (I still plan on working Karen if you're reading this...I plan to discuss it with you in more detail!) I love my job and it works so well with our crazy schedule.
If Edwin does make the Olympics that will require him to be gone to Colorado Springs (Olympic Training Center) for periods of time training with the rest of the Olympic team, not to mention the summer of 2008 when he will be in CHINA! Our family supports Edwin's efforts to make the Olympic team, it will mean an amazing future for us if he makes it, and even greater if he won a medal (think Cassius Clay (Ali), Oscar de la Hoya, Sugar Ray Leonard, Jermain Taylor just to name a few). We will do what it takes to make sure he gets his best shot...the Olympics is the greatest athletic accomplishment there is, and we are so proud that Edwin has one of the best shots in his weight class to represent the USA, having been ranked number one and having won 2 national titles in the past 2 years (let's make that three when he wins the National Golden Gloves again in just 2 weeks!!!!)
But just like Edwin's dream is the Olympics, mine is becoming a lawyer, and he is going to stay home with Serena and Edwin when he can the nights I go to law school, and my mother, father, and his parents will get together to help us while we both do what we need to do for Serena and Edwin Jr's future.
With Edwin going pro eventually, we hear it will make a nice life for us, but we aren't ignorant. Boxing is a sport, and a dangerous one. If he doesn't get the big money fights, or gets injured, or if his body just can't take it anymore, we need something to fall back on. We will be so much better off with my law degree, and that's the plan. It will take me between 3 1/2-4 years to complete (full time takes 3 years anyway). It's going to be a long road, but like everything else, we're in it to win it!

And about what type of law I will be pursuing, I am not 100% decided. I am trying to keep an open mind so that I'll be willing to explore options throughout school and in chosing my intern/externships. It will be helpful to have enough knowledge to manage Edwin's boxing career and my personal passion has always been working with children. So we shall see...

3 comments:

Jamie and Jill said...

I LOVE the picture of you and the kids! And, congrats on law school.....you'll do great!

Miracles said...

So great to hear that Edwin is much better. Especially without meds. Even better!

Congrats on your decision to go back to school. You'll find it all worth it in the end.

abby said...

Yay, everyone! It's great to read about Edwin Jr's eating, the whole olympics deal sounds cool (wish I could go to China to watch, but I'll stick to ESPN when the time comes) and we are really proud of your decision to go to law school. In short, you guys rock!