Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I'm Outraged!

Okay, i know I usually post about Serena and Edwin or issues related to their prematurity, however, I just have to vent about this...(plus it relates to them on some level anyway.)
I was just reading the story about Emilio Gonzales. He is on life support and the hospital wants to discontinue, but his mother is not ready. I'm not going to get into that debate at all here, however, when reading the comments linked to the news story on AOL, I was completely outraged.
People went ON AND ON about him being "hispanic." People accused his mother of being an illegal (there is nothing written to indicate this.) Many people ignored the ethical issue raised by this case and harped on this family's race. I thought about quoting some of the things I read but I can't even do it, especially since I plan to share this blog with my children one day. (Feel free to check it out yourselves on AOL.
Because their last name is Gonzales, people are automatically assuming she is an unwed illegal alien who is here to eat up "good white Americans hard earned money." The article says NOTHING about this and point blank it's just not the issue. This child's life, or his mother's, does not have lesser value because they are of Latino descent.
I know racism exists today, it's just so tough to witness its presence to this degree. The words are harsh, and maybe hurt even deeper because my children are Latino. Their last name is RODRIGUEZ and their father moved to the US when he was 13....and LEGALLY I might add. He pledged his allegiance to this country and pays his taxes; we both work and have educations. He very much wants to represent the USA in the 2008 Olympics, and will do so proudly. He is also proud of his Dominican heritage, and should be. He speaks Spanish with his family and friends because he wants to. We plan to share this GIFT (yes, the ability to speak other languages is a gift), with Serena and Edwin. He has a very thick accent that is absolutely adorable. We eat a variety of different foods and celebrate cultural holidays...American and Dominican.
Did people forget that we were all immigrants once, other than those who are 100% Native American? Just because many people lost the language of their ancestors and became "Americanized" does not take away from the fact that their relatives came here from somewhere else.
I am now faced with the reality that there are plenty of people in this society who have no tolerance for those who are not white Americans. This disgusts me beyond comprehension.
FYI I am not for open borders AT ALL. I just have zero respect for people who can't focus on an ethical issue, but instead turn everything into a racial one. This mother is trying to cope with the fact her child is brain dead. It does not matter what the color of her skin is, where she originated from, or if she has an accent.

These are the times I am glad Edwin is a nationally ranked boxer, because I dare anyone to call Serena or Edwin Jr out of their name. (Okay violence is not the answer but I'm PISSED!)

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I don't like how they turn everything into racial issues either! In this day in age race should NOT even be a factor or issue for anyone. But it is sad to say that I don't think it will ever change.

Anyhow on a happy note I just want to say that I LOVE all the new pics that you have!!!! Especially the smiles!!! SO EXCITING!

WeeOnesMommy said...

I'm right there with you sister... I don't think Aiden could fit anymore in him. He is the poster child for racial mixing.. He is Cape Verdean, French, Portuguese (from me) and then English, Welsh, German, Scottish, from his bad.. (there may be a few more european things in there too, it's too early so i can't think) He's got the dark blood from me and the super light from daddy.. And in my eyes perfect..
These people that make EVERYthing into a racial thing I'd like to slap... THey overlook the real issues and its sad.. No matter what you are, it doesn't make you less a person..

Sarah Furlough said...

I wholeheartedly agree! Well said!

abby said...

Amen, Steph! I couldn't have put it better myself.

Unknown said...

Hello!!! I am so glad you posted on my blog... I had been checking back on yours for awhile, but I guess I bookmarked an archive... I was so disappointed that you never updated, that I stopped looking after about a month... (insert stupid look on my face as I realized what I had done) Anyway, I just finished reading through all the posts... first I would like to say, I can't believe mine used to be so tiny ;) Next, they are adorable, they have certainly grown into those adorable pudgy baby cheeks!

We spent months dealing with Taylor's reflux... in the end, we found out that Zantac actually made his problems worse. Prevacid was very helpful, but we finally weaned him from that last month. He still has problems with vomiting, but we believe that it is not because of reflux. Taylor's major lung problems cause him to build up a lot of mucus, his oral aversion creates a situation where he can't deal with the build except to wrench and vomit. Something to think about. Unfortunately, there is nothing they can do about it, so we just have to deal with it. Therefore, I hope Champs issues are reflux... at least there is medicine for that. Hope your O2 goes away soon. I will never forget their first Halloween when we turned it off for good!

I have read many things about preemies, in fact, I read every book in the Wisconsin library system that came up under the subject. That is when I decided that I had to write a book as a parent of micro preemies. There just isn't enough out there. People make these ethical judgments with out ever having been in the same situation. If you want my opinion, and you may not, I think you did what was in your heart. Therefore it was right. My twin A ruptured at 20 weeks, the on call doctor advised us to begin induction immediately. The hospital I was at would not under any circumstances, take "heroic measures" for any baby under 24 weeks. The will of our children, my husband and I, kept them here. Serena and Edwin are here because they want to be here. They are survivors and you will love them for whatever they become. You are a Mommy. Besides, as sick as Edwin was, he has done so much better than my Taylor who had three extra weeks! lol... keep positive, keep working with EI, they will grow, they will hit the milestones, and in about 9 months at their first birthday, you will be thinking, "I can't believe how far they have come!!!" So glad to hear how well they are thriving!

Kathryn said...

Right on. Well said. I couldn't agree with you more. That poor mom having to deal with getting character assasinated because she is Latina on top of dealing with the tragedy of her son. Those people should be slapped and so should the media for allowing it.

At least they fired Don Imus from Imus in the Morning in Boston because he made a racial slur against the entire woman's rugby team. I think firing isn't enough though. He should be fined or something. He not only insulted their race but their gender too in the worst way.

I think if AOL let's these people post racist remarks then AOL should make a statement calling them out as racists and stating that they don't approve at the very least. I am all for freedom of speech but by saying nothing and doing nothing AOL is condoning that crap (ok I can't spell).

Great post. Sometimes you just need to take a stand.