Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Our beloved niece, Keiry Sarai Rodriguez

I just spoke with our sister-in-law. The baby's name is Keiry Sarai Rodriguez. My heart aches. They are running tests to try and find out what happened. All she said was that they told her the baby dropped down and then was "delivered" vaginally because there was nothing they could do. I didn't want to ask too many questions.
When I spoke with Edwin's brother yesterday he said at first the hospital said don't worry about anything, the hospital will take care of the arrangements. They came back to them the next day and said "sorry, the baby was born alive so you have to take care of it." It's not that I think anyone should be owed anything, but first off, get your facts straight before you talk to a family. And my brother-in-law made a good point, it's not like she was born alive and they tried to save her...she was born alive but was most definitely going to die because they didn't intervene. Anyway, they are waiting to hear back from the insurance company about the funeral because they may help to cover the cost. I remember trying not to think about these technicalities when it didn't look like my two would make it. I remember feeling guilty because I was worrying about who I was suppose to call about a casket and who I would want to do the funeral. It pains me to say I too was worried how I would afford it. I wanted them to have a dignified death, and I was concerned about money...I remember feeling so guilty about those thoughts. I remember thinking about not wanting to leave the hospital because I wanted to have the most amount of time to hold them if they couldn't make it even with the ventillator breathing for them. Now we've seen what happens when a preemie doesn't make it. All the times we came so close I thought I knew what it would be like. I can't fully know that pain. And I just keep thinking...they are at home waiting to see about arrangements and they have to think about their tiny baby who is not alive, who is not being cared for by anyone. At least we had that reassurance...at least we knew there was a chance...

4 comments:

Nathali said...

That is so sad that they have to deal with all this. Isn't there a social worker in the hospital that can help them out?

Nathali said...

Oh I forgot to mention that I love the name they chose!!
My friends micro preemie that passed, her name was Kayla.
They are beautiful little angels looking out over our miracle babies.

Twinmommy2boys said...

I'm so very sorry for your whole families loss. Prematurity hits close to home to me as my twin boys were born at 29wk6days. It is all so very scary and unknown. I'm not sure what to say other than my thoughts are with you as well as Keiry's family.

Sarah said...

I am very sorry for this loss, especially because this baby was breathing when she was born. Had the hospital my micro was born at followed this same policy, my 26-weeker would never have been resuscitated.