Monday, September 24, 2007

September 24

On this date last year Edwin returned home from Abu Dabi with more than his luggage. He propsed to me the night he came home and it was such an exciting time. We were so excited for our boy/girl twins and were excited about sharing our lives together as a family. We were anxiously awaiting my appointment/ultrasound scheduled for Sept 26 because we couldn't wait to see what the twins were up to in there. Little did we know a lot was going on in there...

So Edwin and I have been engaged for a year. We haven't even talked about our wedding day at all since. With the birth of the twins, 4 months in the hospital, coming home in the middle of RSV season, Edwin trying out for the Olympics and being away, me returning back to work 3 months after S&E came home, financially trying to get ourselves situated with me only working part-time, and trying to save for a house, there is just no time. I am content with what we have and trust me it's like we're married anyway...all that's missing is the legal aspect of it.
I would love to have a nice wedding one day, but for now I want to buy a house. I can't imagine spending money on a wedding when I feel like I should be worried about paying bills and saving. I'm sure my mom would help me with planning and helping with the wedding and that I could find a way to make it low cost, but it just seems like a lot of work to plan it and to be honest it overwhelms me at this time. Ashton's mom Shannon is in the process now, and it does sound a little fun...God bless you Shannon and I hope your day is beautiful. Some day we'll make it official and have the resources to invite everyone who means a lot to us and show them a good time.
As for now, I don't need a wedding...Edwin gave me the best gifts of all...my Serena and Edwin, Jr. and a father's unconditional love for his children.

***No pictures here but I posted some last night from S&E's cousin's bday party.***

6 comments:

samylaine said...

I know how you feel! lol. One day we just went to the courthouse and got married though! lol. We've been married almost 8 years now and still haven't even bought wedding rings! lol.

Nathali said...

You are so blessed with such a great man and two little miracles. You will have your 'day' one day and it will be even more special because you know your relationship is strong enough to be able to go through all this!!!

Mommato4miracles said...

Wow! One year huh? What a year it has been, and things will only get better, the love you have now will continue to grow and the wedding will just be a SMALL part of a family of love. But you sure will be a beautiful bride:)

abby said...

...but when you do decide to do the wedding, talk to me. we managed to pull off our ceremony in under 6 weeks time for very little money. we got the best photographer on craigs' list for 350; a really nice venue and caterer who worked with us for under 3000; and did our own flowers for a lot cheaper than a florist could have, but they looked super nice. i am glad now that we did it, even though our big expense that year was getting Sharon pregnant. But we did own our own home, and that would win out over a ceremony any day of the week. It's not that I am not sentimental, it's just that building a home together involves so much more than a nice, expensive party. But you already know that; you guys have been through the wringer for the past year and are doing great. So happy anniversary! And kiddos---you guys are lucky to have such a wonderful mommy and daddy!

Shannon said...

Awww thanks for the thoughts :) It is VERY overwhelming and sometimes I wonder how I am going to do this in less than a year. hahaha But I'm sure it will all work itself out. I am VERY excited though!! Can't wait to see my little man in his suit!!!

I love the birthday pics!!! And hopefully everyone is feeling great for one of the best birthdays of all!!!!!

1stson24weeks said...

I know what you mean about planning a big wedding and the stress involved especially with you having 2 preemies. I couldn't even handle the stress of a wedding before I had a preemie, so my husband and I hopped a plane to Vegas aand had a beautiful stress free wedding there. Our parents came with us, and then when we got back we had a "party" with the rest of the family. It was low cost, low stress, I still got to wear a beautiful wedding dress and the place we had it wasn't one of the cheesy chapels, it was actually pretty nice. I know you probably can't just hop on a plane with the kids, but that is what we did and it was so much better for me stress wise.