Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pulmonology

Hello all...
We had our pulmonology appointment yesterday. Weights/lenths:

Serena 15 lbs 8 ounces 25 3/4" long.
Champ 17 lbs 2.4 oz 27 1/2" long!

He is HUGE compared to her! Serena is still tiny, and I don't know how successful we are going to be with getting her to gain weight since she is now crawling EVERYWHERE. The girl burns A LOT of calories. But as the preemie parents know, it is just a constant battle for weight gain.

As for Beanie, I told the doc that she still needs O2 while asleep. No one is surprised because of her airway issues, and I finally got the appointment for her repeat bronch in Jan. So we will continue with the O2 while she is asleep until she doesn't need it anymore, which hopefully we will have an idea of when that might be after the bronch.

Mr. Champ has been doing really well with his sats...no issues at all in that department. They repeated an EKG which came back normal! No pulmonoary hypertension! Great news. So we now have permission to wean him down 50ccs every other week. We are at 300 now, so by the end of November he will be at 100ccs which is the point at which the pulmonologist wants to leave him at until we see him in January and then we will begin taking him for periods of time. If he is doing really well at 100 long before our appointment I may call and ask if we can try 15 minutes off a day or something, but we'll see. It was at my suggestion that we increased the wean to biweekly, and I really respect how much the pulmonologist listens to me. He knows I will be the first to call with concerns about the kids, so he said it sounded like a good plan since his EKG was good.
I also asked for a script for Zantac. I know Edwin is still refluxing, although not projectile vomitting like when he first came home. So since he sometimes cries while asleep in a painful way which makes me believe it's reflux, I figured we would try Zantac again to see if that helps. He doesn't wake up crying very often, but the fact that he does it at all isn't good. I obviously don't want my little guy in pain.

So all in all it was a good visit. We don't go back until the middle of January. We just have to pray and do what it takes to keep S&E healthy this RSV/cold season and hopefully by spring I will have tube-free kids!
Speaking of the dreaded season, we have begun our hibernation again. No more trips to Target or the like. Minus their birthday bash which is a week from this Sat., we will be limiting the amount of people we expose S&E to. We gotta do our part to protect them from the germs.

Side note...remember I told you about the weird thing I found in Serena's food? I called the company to see what they found in their lab analysis and they couldn't find the sample I sent. I sent the weird thing in a baggie as well as the jar of leftover food. They claimed the jar had spilled all over the packaging, and when I said I had sent the substance in a baggie, they called the lab back and the lab tech said she didn't see it, but had thrown away the packaging the previous day. Didn't they read the report? I said I had found a substance and I was putting it in a baggie and sending it to be analyzed. They told me to send the leftover jar too so I did. Total disregard for the situation. I wanted the substance tested...HELLO! Why didn't she look through the packaging for the substance in a baggie if that's what the report said?
Thankfully my step mother knows people at a lab and she had the substance tested right after it happened. I wanted to hear what the company said before I said anything, but since they THREW it away, I guess it doesn't matter. Thankfully it was of the vegetable family. The lab techs my step mom works with were so freaked by its appearance they thought it was fungus and sent it to another lab which could analyze it even better. I'm mad at the company but I don't see what I can do. Thankfully Serena is okay and her increase in pooping has maintained but it must because she is becoming more regular with the fruit baby food she has been eating...which is a very good thing.
In twin B news, Edwin army crawled across my mom's floor a whole bunch of times yesterday which was exciting, but confusing. I wonder if he realizes he is suppose to keep his head up? He puts his head down and just begins to wriggle across the floor.
The video camera my mom bought came today!!! She is going to read up on it and give it to me tomorrow or Friday!!! I am sooo excited to take video of the kids and post it for you all to enjoy!
Perhaps that will be my next post...tune in to find out if I have figured it out by then!

Getting them to both look at the camera at the same time just wasn't happening...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great News Steph! Glad it's all going well and I am glad you are also staying strong & healthy! S&E have the best Mom ever! :)

Rachel said...

I just happened across your blog and now am I frequent visitor. Sounds kinda suspicious that the lab "lost" the sample...hmmmm... Anyhow, I was so sorry to hear of your family's loss. You are all in my prayers.

Rachel